Trying to figure out where to start

ShadoeFox

Hi, I'm a newbie to the whole concept of Video Editing. I've just started poking at both Wax 2.0 and Windows Movie Maker but I'm not sure which, or even if, I should use them.

Basically, I'm wanting something that will allow me to do good video with the ability for some special effects and sound effects as well as music added to whatever video I"m using (sometimes under speech, sometimes over it) and I'm not sure if either of them will do it. Mostly because neither is exactly intuitive (I'm getting the impression that this isn't unusual with editing software).

I don't mind a learning curve, but I don't want to start working with one program then realize I should have used the other... or even a completely DIFFERENT program. I don't have a lot of money to spend on this right now (Though I'd consider it if you have a strong suggestion and reasoning as to why). I want something I can start working with so when I get to doing the projects I want to do I can have a reasonable grasp of what I'm doing.

Any advice? Suggestions? Please!

Power Director 10 is a very good program to use if you're a newbie to editing, its really intuitive and fairly user friendly, while also having a ton of features. Once you have a bit of editing experience i highly recommend Vegas Pro though :p

can not find a download for ten. Also at 99 bucks its kinda pricey. Like i said im willing to spend some money with logical reason... but is there nothing solid and flexible for free/less?

If you have access to a MacBook iMovie is good.. it would be useful to start with the most basic software and build up. It's what I did.

I'm assuming you're using a PC? I've only used MovieMaker, so far. True, there's a learning curve to it--mostly just learning how to work with it's limitations ;)

It's been a couple of weeks since you posted this question; what have you decided to go with, ShadoeFox?

Hi there ShadoeFox. Word of advice. I personally use Windows Live Movie Maker (if you have windows 7). It's very easy to use. Not as customize-able as some other video editors out there, but it's pretty straight forward. I use it all the time. It also comes with pre-settings for saving a video in things like 720p or higher. Also has a custom setting for any size you want your video to be saved as. It also opens as far as I know all recorded formats (I say this going of the bases that most of the formats that capture software save as is either. WMV, AVI, MPEG, MP4 which it will open)

Back