Trying to collab/make friends with the opposite sex

KingFishOcean

This probably seems like an odd topic but I figure it could be good for discussion. You see, for a few years now I have tried to find collaborations in order to meet new people, make some fun content and grow together. The problem I often have is the opposite sex. I have tried to talk to girls about collaborating, because I genuinely wanna collaborate and respect them as content creators but only 1 so far was actually ok with it. I've had girls tell me "im not interested in you" or just straight up block me. And I get it. Its understable coz there are some really creepy guys out there. But it made me wonder if anyone else has had experiences like this with either sex.

Also I haven't just tried to collab with girls its just that I get along better with girls than I do guys haha just wanted to clear that up

Are you talking about like talking to them online about collaborating? Or just in general?
I collab with a good amount of females on my channel, but these are local females. I haven't really tried to hit up any online first to initiate that.

I'm much more in my comfort zone around females.
I don't really have any male friends, so it's more awkward for me to talk with dudes lol

I've had girls tell me "im not interested in you" or just straight up block me.
Well, personaly I find straight up blocking someone rather rude n.n" I think you can avoid things like this by sending more concrete ideas, instead of just saying 'Hi, want to collab?'. I actually wrote a little guide on this in the tutorial section. Basicly try to get to know someone first, before you ask for a collab and ALWAYS have a concreet idea. Just saying 'wanna collab' won't bring you anywhere. This of course applies to asking both male and female creators.

I have my first collab planned for the new year, while it wasnt the most difficult negotation in the world (I've worked with them once before a loooooooong time ago) it'll still be a good challenge and a real logistical push...in my niche it's quite difficult to find females who are willing to talk about the kind of films I do...I mean...it's far from impossible; there are a few around...but its difficult getting a foot in the door...mainly because they're either quite high up the food chain and they wont deal with a small channel like myself, or because they go about there types of video completely differently to my own way...I would be interested in collabbing though at some point in the future on my videos and im always up for collaborating on other peoples...but its largely finding a happy medium that works :)

I would say in terms of advice...get a really solid idea. float it to the youtuber or writer your interested in working with and really make it come across that the idea is tailored for that persons involvement...just asking 20 women "Be in my video...here it is" wont probably get you a good response but if you say "I've seen a few of your videos, im doing one on this and I know from *Reference video* and *Other refeence video* that you've covered that kind of thing before...would you be interested in a collaboration...here's my pitch. you'll be way more likely to proceed. :)

I have yet to collab with ANYONE yet but I do know one thing when it comes to communicating with someone and usually they don;t block you unless whatever you were saying was being put the wrong way. I highly doubt they blocked you just for asking for a collab. Sometimes saying the wrong thing at the wrong time or even saying it the wrong way can make any girl nervous and cautious when it comes to talking online.

Although you didn't have bad intentions (i hope) then maybe its just the way you wording certain phrases are creeping some of them out and putting them off the idea of a collab. I highly suggest if your talking to them about the topic of collaborating then to stick with that topic and not to stray, because a collab is the whole reason you were talking in the first place, don't ruin it by saying something silly.

Maybe try sounding more professional when you ask them, talk them more formal instead of casual that way they don’t think you’re just asking them because you’re interested in them. Try pitching a few ideas for the type of videos you want to do in the conversation

It's the way you're approaching people, it's a bit creepy going up "Hey fancy coming over to my place and be in a video with me?" try and be professional, don't just go jumping for a collab, actually meet other people via other people.. it usually works..

How you put yourself forward is key. Them blocking you straight away is a tad rude haha but try send them some ideas, explain & introduce yourself professionally. That way, they'll most likely take you more seriously & actually have a think about it & reply :)

Honestly, some girls out there are pretty shallow, they'll take a few peeks at your photos/content or whatever & just base you on looks entirely :/
But those people aren't worth collabing with then if thats the case!

Back