Trouble if you don't specify the author and if you specify their nickname

Matthew_Greg

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Right, but it deters them from trying as any sane person wouldn't specify the author if it wasn't true.[DOUBLEPOST=1512789791,1512789718][/DOUBLEPOST]Doesn't it? What do you suggest Matthew one should do to minimize the chances of bogus CR claims?
Nothing you can do to avoid it, really... YouTube's copyright system is seriously broken and you can file disputes and appeal rejected disputes, but the success is questionable...

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
If someone wants to submit a bogus Copyright claim, it doesn't matter what you have in the description.

People put credits in the description (or as part of the video) because it's often a requirement for the rights of whatever footage they're using or because they feel their audience would want to know where something came from, not because of fears of false copyright claims.

If people are willing to put in false claims on videos with blatant watermarks, don't think that an easily editable description is going to deter them.

Until YouTube starts severely punishing people/ channels that abuse the claim system, it's going to continue.

Broccoli Shmoccoli

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Nothing you can do to avoid it, really... YouTube's copyright system is seriously broken and you can file disputes and appeal rejected disputes, but the success is questionable...
I see. Thank you for your insight!
Do you perhaps know if bogus claims happen often on YouTube?

Let me explain my concern for what it is in this respect. Basically from what I heard and saw on YouTube so far, I think that there are chances - not high - but some chances that some people would actually try to claim the authorship or copyrights for YOUR content if they saw the slightest chance of some extra publicity if nothing else. It concerns me a little bit and I'm trying to figure out what to do to minimize the chance of that happening while I'm small...[DOUBLEPOST=1512874058,1512873804][/DOUBLEPOST]
If someone wants to submit a bogus Copyright claim, it doesn't matter what you have in the description.

People put credits in the description (or as part of the video) because it's often a requirement for the rights of whatever footage they're using or because they feel their audience would want to know where something came from, not because of fears of false copyright claims.

If people are willing to put in false claims on videos with blatant watermarks, don't think that an easily editable description is going to deter them.

Until YouTube starts severely punishing people/ channels that abuse the claim system, it's going to continue.
Thank you for the info! It helps.

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
...I think that there are chances - not high - but some chances that some people would actually try to claim the authorship or copyrights for YOUR content if they saw the slightest chance of some extra publicity if nothing else.
If someone were to claim the work as their own, their only option would be to file a DMCA notice against you and have the video taken down.

If that were to happen, you would easily be able to file a counter to it, claim the video as your own, and their only recourse would be to take you to court.

If they were to steal your video, upload it as their own, and then try to claim against yours, YouTube would simply have to look at the upload dates to know who came first.

A more likely scenario is that your video gets wrongly claimed under Content ID, an automated process that searches uploads for known music or video, but, again, so long as you have all of the proper rights to use everything or are able to prove you made it yourself, that’s easily countered as well.

If you’re that worried, I’d recommend adding a watermark somewhere on your video. That way it would be obviously your and, if they try to claim it as their own or repost it, they’d have to crop or modify it in some way.

Reactions: Broccoli Shmoccoli

Broccoli Shmoccoli

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
If someone were to claim the work as their own, their only option would be to file a DMCA notice against you and have the video taken down.

If that were to happen, you would easily be able to file a counter to it, claim the video as your own, and their only recourse would be to take you to court.

If they were to steal your video, upload it as their own, and then try to claim against yours, YouTube would simply have to look at the upload dates to know who came first.

A more likely scenario is that your video gets wrongly claimed under Content ID, an automated process that searches uploads for known music or video, but, again, so long as you have all of the proper rights to use everything or are able to prove you made it yourself, that’s easily countered as well.

If you’re that worried, I’d recommend adding a watermark somewhere on your video. That way it would be obviously your and, if they try to claim it as their own or repost it, they’d have to crop or modify it in some way.
Thank you so much! :) You cleared the air perfectly! This is above and beyond everything I was looking for! A very sincere thank you Shakycow!

Reactions: Shakycow

Steve0192

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I thought you'd be interested to know, I've had 2 Content ID type claims made against me in the past. Both were incorrect and both were cleared away quickly by appealing. I think all I had to do was to fill out a simple web form stating why they were incorrect.

Steve

Broccoli Shmoccoli

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
I thought you'd be interested to know, I've had 2 Content ID type claims made against me in the past. Both were incorrect and both were cleared away quickly by appealing. I think all I had to do was to fill out a simple web form stating why they were incorrect.

Steve
Tank you Steve! Yup :) ... balsam to the ears. It's also good to hear that you didn't had too much hassle if the claims were wrong... I'm sure YouTube's tech will get better. We have to be optimistic.

Matthew_Greg

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I see. Thank you for your insight!
Do you perhaps know if bogus claims happen often on YouTube?

Let me explain my concern for what it is in this respect. Basically from what I heard and saw on YouTube so far, I think that there are chances - not high - but some chances that some people would actually try to claim the authorship or copyrights for YOUR content if they saw the slightest chance of some extra publicity if nothing else. It concerns me a little bit and I'm trying to figure out what to do to minimize the chance of that happening while I'm small...[DOUBLEPOST=1512874058,1512873804][/DOUBLEPOST]

Thank you for the info! It helps.
It CAN happen often depending on the type of content you're making... If you're revolving around movies and/or music, it can happen VERY often with, probably, small chances of winning the disputes. This channel, for example: Ranstuff (the first one in results, deals with copyright claims, some of them fake by fake, probably, fake companies with not very good winning ratio...

Broccoli Shmoccoli

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
It CAN happen often depending on the type of content you're making... If you're revolving around movies and/or music, it can happen VERY often with, probably, small chances of winning the disputes. This channel, for example: Ranstuff (the first one in results, deals with copyright claims, some of them fake by fake, probably, fake companies with not very good winning ratio...
Thank you man! That is helpful... Regarding the content I'm doing. I do the entire thing. Fully animated science videos written by me... The only thing I outsource is the narration - voice over. I do that through Fiverr.com.