Trouble if you don't specify the author and if you specify their nickname

Broccoli Shmoccoli

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
I was told that if I want to monetize content on YouTube I should clearly specify the author of the writing of each video in the description. Of course I would credit the author if it was someone other than me but I find it a bit much to credit my self for a 9 minute YT video.

What about the videos which I don't monetize - the first few videos ever - do I have to state I'm the author, and what hassle / legal issues can there be if I don't?

Can I specify my nickname for monetized and non-monetized content, and would in such case be easier for someone to claim my work illegitimately?

Matthew_Greg

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Crediting the author is usually done in the description, but it doesn't necessarily make your video eligible for monetisation. You can post whatever content you want as long as you don't monetise that video, but it's original creator can claim copyright.

Broccoli Shmoccoli

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
I’m not sure why you were told this. I’m not aware of any such rules, whether for monetizing or not.
Yes, once I asked a question on another chat forum about that but it was based on a speculation that someone could illegitimately claim something if they wanted to and if the author wasn't specified in the description. Basically I got the answer that yes - if you want to be 100% safe when you monetize and not just 99% safe, you should always specify who did what in the description of the video... I asked that because I don't want to credit myself for every video I (will) monetize...

I also kinda want my name to stay private when the channel is small and struggling. But if it got really big, boy than I'd want my name plastered all over :)[DOUBLEPOST=1512775986,1512775685][/DOUBLEPOST]
Crediting the author is usually done in the description, but it doesn't necessarily make your video eligible for monetisation. You can post whatever content you want as long as you don't monetise that video, but it's original creator can claim copyright.
Thank you for the reply. Yes I agree that crediting the author doesn't necessarily make the video eligible for monetization, but my concern is that someone would want to claim something which doesn't belong to them you know...

Matthew_Greg

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yes, once I asked a question on another chat forum about that but it was based on a speculation that someone could illegitimately claim something if they wanted to and if the author wasn't specified in the description. Basically I got the answer that yes - if you want to be 100% safe when you monetize and not just 99% safe, you should always specify who did what in the description of the video... I asked that because I don't want to credit myself for every video I (will) monetize...

I also kinda want my name to stay private when the channel is small and struggling. But if it got really big, boy than I'd want my name plastered all over :)[DOUBLEPOST=1512775986,1512775685][/DOUBLEPOST]

Thank you for the reply. Yes I agree that crediting the author doesn't necessarily make the video eligible for monetization, but my concern is that someone would want to claim something which doesn't belong to them you know...
Writing it down doesn't help for that.

Matthew_Greg

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I see. Perhaps I should use the word "credit" - as in crediting the author in the description... Do you know?
Crediting certainly is nice, but, like i wrote, it won't help with eligibiling your video. :) UNLESS it's specificaly written by the original author...

Broccoli Shmoccoli

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Crediting certainly is nice, but, like i wrote, it won't help with eligibiling your video. :) UNLESS it's specificaly written by the original author...
Oh we had a misunderstanding :) Of course I know it can't help the video getting eligible for monetization... What I meant was it can help prevent other people making illegitimate claims of copyrights. Stuff like that... The eligibility for monetization is dependent on other basic conditions and guidelines... But yes, thank you for your input![DOUBLEPOST=1512780356,1512780266][/DOUBLEPOST]My apologies if I was to unclear...

Matthew_Greg

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Oh we had a misunderstanding :) Of course I know it can't help the video getting eligible for monetization... What I meant was it can help prevent other people making illegitimate claims of copyrights. Stuff like that... The eligibility for monetization is dependent on other basic conditions and guidelines... But yes, thank you for your input![DOUBLEPOST=1512780356,1512780266][/DOUBLEPOST]My apologies if I was to unclear...
No problem and nope... Any disclaimer is ONLY for informational purposes.

Broccoli Shmoccoli

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
No problem and nope... Any disclaimer is ONLY for informational purposes.
Right, but it deters them from trying as any sane person wouldn't specify the author if it wasn't true.[DOUBLEPOST=1512789791,1512789718][/DOUBLEPOST]Doesn't it? What do you suggest Matthew one should do to minimize the chances of bogus CR claims?

Last edited: