Trouble getting up to speed again

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hey everyone,

I've had my channel for about a year and a half now and would get consistent views from 70 to 100 views per vid. Over time they would hit 200 to 300 views, but the first 100 would happen in the first week. I consistently uploaded at least once a week.
Now I've had a little while that I uploaded inconsistently, between May 2018 till mid November 2018. I would have between 1 and 3 videos a month, instead of 4. These videos are all between 70 and a 100 views, again with most views gathered in the first week.
As of the 20th of November, I've been back to a consistent schedule of 1 video a week, on Monday 12 o'clock (+1 GMT). I'm using the same upload schedule, same type of thumbnails, same type of tags. Yet my views are dragging behind. In the first 24 hours I only get about 20 views, with it dragging up to 35, 45 after a week and still sticking to 60-80 views after a month.
One major thing that has changed is the location of my vlogs. I used to vlog about England, now I am traveling New Zealand and Australia. Strangely enough 99% of my viewers are still based in the UK. I'm not sure if I'm not tagging my videos correctly or if I just haven't found the right audience yet, but it would be nice if someone could have a look at it.

This all being said, I have a handful of people (not even including my friends and family) who consistently watch and comment on my video, which is super fun! But I'd like to reach out to more people :)

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Have you tried uploading the video at the best time for your viewers? I changed the time I upload videos and my views went up.
Another reason is the location of course, people might like England but not the other countries and finally viewers change habits and they change the content they watch. Maybe they are bored or maybe they forgot about your channel.

I totally understand how you feel, is a pretty scary feeling when you don't know what's going on or why you lose views. I'm always thinking about that and when something bad happens I'm questioning myself... Is the topic boring? They didn't like this type of video? is it because it's Monday? maybe it's the time? do they have final exams at this period of time?

My best advice is to search other forums to share your videos. Discord works pretty cool and it is something I use. The other thing is that people get bored really easily, is really hard to keep them entertained and watching, specially for more than a year. I totally can understand you, I'm fighting so hard right now cause my goal is that 50% of my subscribers are converted in views so I'm struggling to get 7K views per video.

To fix this, I recommend you watch your popular videos and do the same for the other countries and see how it goes. Also look at bigger channels, what they do, how they edit and combine all of that knowledge into your own style. If done correctly you should get more views, that's pretty much what I did with my channel.

Dutchie Abroad

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Have you tried uploading the video at the best time for your viewers? I changed the time I upload videos and my views went up.
I was thinking of adjusting this. The reason I upload on 12 o'clock on Monday, is because my parents are off on Monday and Tuesday. I did research this ages ago, just found my notes from that. Might switch my upload to the evening instead of the morning.

Another reason is the location of course, people might like England but not the other countries
This is the weirdest thing. The views I DO have almost all originate from England. Over 90%. I used to have a much more diverse audience.

and finally viewers change habits and they change the content they watch. Maybe they are bored or maybe they forgot about your channel.
Well aware, when I started uploading regularly again I lost subs, because you remind them they are subbed to you and if they are not interested, they unsub.

I totally understand how you feel, is a pretty scary feeling when you don't know what's going on or why you lose views. I'm always thinking about that and when something bad happens I'm questioning myself...
Ah, actually don't really mind n.n" I'm not doing it for the views nor the subs. I do it for friends an family (who still watch, so that's fine). I was just wondering, because it is quite a striking difference.

My best advice is to search other forums to share your videos. Discord works pretty cool and it is something I use.
Thanks for this advice, this would work indeed, but I really can't be bothered promoting my channel externally. My traffic source is almost 40% suggested videos, so the tags do their job of sharing it on YT itself. I share it on my personal FB, as it is aimed towards friends and family, but I never promoted it anywhere else. Tried Twitter, got bored. Started an instagram about a week ago, really like the platform, maybe that will result in some subs, but that's not it's aim.

To fix this, I recommend you watch your popular videos and do the same for the other countries and see how it goes. Also look at bigger channels, what they do, how they edit and combine all of that knowledge into your own style.
I will be doing this more when I'm settled in into Australia. For now I'm just catching up on travel vlogs and I know that's not the most exciting content for some people.

Anyway, thank you for the elaborate answer!

allthingstodd

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Reporter, Vlogger, Comedian, Commentator
Yea I have done only Morning uploads, but I think I'll start uploading early afternoon like everyone suggested too!

Thanks for making this thread because I think my Channel may benefit from this also.

You guys are legit![DOUBLEPOST=1547146947,1547146898][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hey everyone,

I've had my channel for about a year and a half now and would get consistent views from 70 to 100 views per vid. Over time they would hit 200 to 300 views, but the first 100 would happen in the first week. I consistently uploaded at least once a week.
Now I've had a little while that I uploaded inconsistently, between May 2018 till mid November 2018. I would have between 1 and 3 videos a month, instead of 4. These videos are all between 70 and a 100 views, again with most views gathered in the first week.
As of the 20th of November, I've been back to a consistent schedule of 1 video a week, on Monday 12 o'clock (+1 GMT). I'm using the same upload schedule, same type of thumbnails, same type of tags. Yet my views are dragging behind. In the first 24 hours I only get about 20 views, with it dragging up to 35, 45 after a week and still sticking to 60-80 views after a month.
One major thing that has changed is the location of my vlogs. I used to vlog about England, now I am traveling New Zealand and Australia. Strangely enough 99% of my viewers are still based in the UK. I'm not sure if I'm not tagging my videos correctly or if I just haven't found the right audience yet, but it would be nice if someone could have a look at it.

This all being said, I have a handful of people (not even including my friends and family) who consistently watch and comment on my video, which is super fun! But I'd like to reach out to more people :)
Checking out your Channel now, I'm intrigued at how you described your content. :D

Reactions: Dutchie Abroad

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Hiya Dutchie, maybe until you've built your subscribers base more you should invest more time researching trending topics and key phrases before you set out and work really hard on a video that may not be promoted much by Youtube. I know it feels like a sell out, but once you have more subscribers then you can have more freedom in your content topics? Just a thought anyway.

Dutchie Abroad

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hiya Dutchie, maybe until you've built your subscribers base more you should invest more time researching trending topics and key phrases before you set out and work really hard on a video that may not be promoted much by Youtube. I know it feels like a sell out, but once you have more subscribers then you can have more freedom in your content topics? Just a thought anyway.
Solid advice and indeed something that would help me grow. I'm just really bad at spotting and following trends, plus that I'm currently trying to catch up on the backlog of videos I have. If you have any tips on how to effectively spot trends, I'd love to hear it :)

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Solid advice and indeed something that would help me grow. I'm just really bad at spotting and following trends, plus that I'm currently trying to catch up on the backlog of videos I have. If you have any tips on how to effectively spot trends, I'd love to hear it :)
Sure I have some ideas. You explore some exciting places. Think about how the content will serve a use for someone. This way you can aim for some 'evergreen' traffic.. that way yourbenefiting from your old videos too in the future. Google trends https://trends.google.com/trends/?geo=US is a good place to start. Type in a few search phrases and see what might be popular for travel or vlogging. It will show you 'breakout' phrases too etc. Search bar in Youtube itself is very useful and auto completing suggested phrases that will have the highest search volume. I'd suggest a video guide of some sort that people can refer to to help them do something /explore somewhere etc. 'How to' videos are popular. Example.. instead of 'Rafting & Hiking a volcano' - How to Raft and Hike a volcano'..or '5 ways to Raft & Hike a volcano without getting dead'.. assuming you've researched and found a need - high search volume for that topic. I guess thats what you need to work more on. I might spend longer planning SEO and writing a supporting script, then I do filming video/editing. Think about spending longer planning your next video.

Reactions: Dutchie Abroad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I just started YouTube this week but I've been trying to learn about it as much as I could in that time. Seems like an upload schedule, title, thumbnail, upload 3 hours before peak time are the most important! That's what I'm going to be using to try grow my channel but I will keep learning as I go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zadey

Reaction score
Hi Dutchie Aboard, here are some considerations,

1. Value. What value does watching your video provide? For example, people usually have a few main reasons to watch travel content. They either want to know what things they can DO or the best PLACES they can go. I recommend structuring your video to provide value to a traveling audience..
2. Titles. The title "New things for me in Australia || Bottlo drive thru?" is bad. Unless you're a big youtuber, nobody really cares about your experiences yet. (Sad but true.) I recommend structuring your titles to provide direct value to people who are searching for travel content. For example "7 Things anyone can do in New Zealand!" This title communicates the value you can provide to a wider audience.
3. Have a clear focus. Your channel is somewhat "all over the place" You have opinion videos, travel videos. For example, your focus could be "Travel videos that help others" or you could focus on your "Hiking videos". 70% of your content needs to be similar to your audience. Focus on value instead of yourself, in the titles and in your content.
4. Do more "Showing" and less "Talking" show others what you've done through high resolution footage, good camera angles and consistent commentary and show your travel experiences so they can help others.

A good channel test, is to show your channel home page to your friends and it should take only a few seconds to figure out what your channel is "about". And it isn't about you until you're famous ;) Hope this helps!

Dutchie Abroad

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
@Zadey Really solid advice, thank you very much for taking the time to type all this!
I have realize my titels are quite lacking, I have actually updated a view after I got remarks on that in this topic. I also changed my upload time.
I know I'm a bit all over the place, but that is because I don't see my channel as a brand. It is a place for me to share my adventures and, indeed, opinions with my friends and family and whoever else ends up seeing it. Not in it for the fame ;P
For a vlogger I actually think my talk-show ratio is quite okay. I know Youtubers who are 70/80% talk and yet I still like watching them. I try to maintain a 50/50 ratio, though for example my Hobbiton vlog is more 70% show, because I hardly recorded any talking that day (good job past Dutchie). But my parents had remarked on it as well, so I started overlapping more 'show' video in sections when I am talking, to break it up more.
Again, thank you for all the feedback!