Transitions - Frames and Seconds

Roman Ryder

I've Got It
Reaction score
Any recommendations for transition settings? I'm using a push transition. It was set for 30 frames and 1 second by default. It was way too slow though.

I played around with 15 frames and 0.5 seconds earlier. It was definitely a lot quicker and made more sense with my whoosh sound. lol

I don't have much experience editing, so I'm not sure if changing the frames is a bad idea. Any suggestions?

TATWWK

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
30 frames for transition is way too slow. But depends on the actual effect that you have visualize.
I used 10 frames for smooth in from one shot to smooth zoom out -zoom in to another shot.
This gives a effect as if you directly zoomed in without any cuts between two shots.
You can check out my latest video , I had used a lot of zoom-in transitions, vice-versa, rotation transition.

Reactions: Roman Ryder

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
You can check out my latest video , I had used a lot of zoom-in transitions, vice-versa, rotation transition.
LOVE your Lost In Transit video.. So happy to find another creator here on the forum making more than just gaming videos!

DJBenz

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I don't have much experience editing, so I'm not sure if changing the frames is a bad idea. Any suggestions?
Not a bad idea at all, you're not doing anything other than adjusting the amount of time it takes for the transition to complete. One second (or 30 frames) is probably on the long side though, just play about with the timings until you're happy with the look.

Reactions: Roman Ryder

Roman Ryder

I've Got It
Reaction score
One second (or 30 frames) is probably on the long side though, just play about with the timings until you're happy with the look.
I didn't realize 1 second = 30 frames. It makes total sense now. Thanks!

TATWWK

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
[QUOTE="LOVE your Lost In Transit video.. So happy to find another creator here on the forum making more than just gaming videos![/QUOTE]

Thank you so much mate. You appreciation is really motivating.
Also, thanks a ton for dropping by my channel and leaving your feedback :)

DJBenz

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well, assuming you shot at 30fps it is. Otherwise one second could be 23.97, 25 or 29.97 frames depending on the camera. ;)

WolfWraith

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
It's dependant on what you recorded in. 1 second does not equate to any frame rate by measure. It's scaled. As mentioned above it can be 23.97, 25, 29.97 & even 50, 60 or more. It gets more complicated when using odd frame rates instead of even frame rates. So always try to stick to 30 or 60.

The best way to set the time of a transition is to synchronise it with the sound effect. So if your 'swoosh' sound effect is 3 seconds long, you want your transition to be 3 seconds long as well (give or take), it should start roughly where the audio starts and end roughly where the audio ends.