Transitioning from worrying about subs to views

evoloz

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
So when I started youtube back in Sept 17 I found I was really mostly interested in subscriber numbers and whilst views were still great to receive if they didn't transform into subscribers it didn't somehow feel like success.

Until very recently that has sort of been the feeling I have always had and I was always more eager to see subscriber growth over views growth, despite more experienced youtubers on places like this forum advising that it's views that matter.

However, more recently I'm finding that's really swapped over and the subscriber numbers are becoming less and less of a worry only to be replaced by views!

Not really a lot of point to this post just think it's interesting that at least based off what most people post on this forum smaller channels tend to worry much more about subscribers and then at some point there seems to be a transition into more fear over views! Has anyone else experienced this?

Reactions: videoeditgr

eroM

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well, I don't think YT's changes in monetization have helped the smaller channels relieve their anxiety :) We're all striving for those 1000 subs and 4000 total view hours now.

Those seem like very far and distant numbers for me. I'm only posting once a week at the moment with two (third dropping tonight) videos published.

Instead of focusing on subs/views, I check for the deltas on the metrics I want to follow on a weekly basis. This helps me measure if my channel is actually growing more and more week after week.

For example, let's say I have 6 subs the first week and gained 1 the following week. Well, that's not a huge increase numerically, but percentage wise, that's 17%! That's huge :thumbsup2: I'll take that.

Naturally, with time, I would love to have more than 1 new sub per week. But I'll take the small victories for now. Just keep your head down and push onwards.

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Not really a lot of point to this post
With 20 subscribers and 5500 views I have no worries. Too small to have this kind of problems :D :p

But your post is not really pointless, this is something I usually wonder
when I see channels 50k - 100K with 1000-15000 views on a suggested video after a period of e.g. a month.

Kind of weird sometimes.

Annette Regina

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well, I on the other hand have over 5000 watch hours but I'm still about 120 subs shy of the 1000 mark. I find that it is getting more and more difficult to get subscribers these days. :(

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
hmm i find this hard to work out too. I have nearly 200,000 views (6,500 watch hours) in one year for only 270 ish subs. I have no CTA prompts in my most viewed early videos which hurts me. My newer content get x3 subs per view vs my old stuff but are less viewed. I need one of my new vids to take off.

Boki

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Cartoonist
Our channels are approximately of the same size and your view count is way better than mine, so I wouldn't even be worried with the views. :) What's your total watch time in the previous 12 months?

evoloz

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I
Our channels are approximately of the same size and your view count is way better than mine, so I wouldn't even be worried with the views. :) What's your total watch time in the previous 12 months?
I tend to have quite long videos which may distort my watching but I'm at 28,300 hours for the last 12 month's

Boki

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Cartoonist
Get out of here, you're doing fine! :wavespin:
Audience retention?

evoloz

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
i'm sitting about 40% with audience retention, mostly dragged down by some of the longer playthrough videos.

I know I have no right to complain haha more of an observation that i'm finding myself worry more about views over subscribers compared to before where it was the other way around :)