Training Youtube to desired content.

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
The whole story started while trying to get rid of the bigger channels on every subject.
Although I am subscribed and watch most of the big youtubers, I prefer to have different voices
ideas and explanations rather than the same and same ....and same persons on literally
searching "anything" related to filmmaking.
I prefer to get search results or suggestions from smaller channels, they usually have
less rumbling, more info, better interaction if I comment asking something etc.

Many people seem to believe that disliking a video make it dissapear from suggested.
In fact, this is interaction, so this goes suggested to more viewers and the person that disliked it
get more and more similar suggestions as long as Youtube wants people watch and interact.
It doesn't care if you like, dislike, compliment or swear as long as you stay in the platform interacting.

so,
Here is how to indicate how you don't like a video or channel:
although it looks like a lot of trouble it is actually two clicks to hide a video
and four clicks to hide a channel from suggested.

up right of the description of any suggested video there are three dots.
clicking them has four options:
1. Not interesting,
2. add to watch later
3. add to playlist
4. report.

Choosing not interesting, gives two options
1. Undo
2. Tell why.

Tell Why gives three more options
1. Already saw video
2. not liking video
3. not interesting on whole channel.

That's it, you have just trained youtube for a specific channel or video. Hope this helped.

:)

Reactions: Crown and eroM

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
Yes. Now if only every other user on YouTube would do this for all channels but mine!

Haha but seriously I often say I dislike a channel or video and after some time, they pop up again.

Reactions: videoeditgr

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Same here, especially if it's one of YouTube's "favored" channels. They don't care if I want to see it, they're going to push it anyhow.

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
they pop up again.
they're going to push it anyhow
Yes it is not perfect but seems to work quite good enough. Guess it evolves along with the algorithm.

Admitting that I spend some time selecting and indicating "not interesting" every time I watch Youtube videos,
the good thing is that when I search for a new term or even a new gear model, or a popular technique
small channels and new suggestions appear..

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yes it is not perfect but seems to work quite good enough. Guess it evolves along with the algorithm.

Admitting that I spend some time selecting and indicating "not interesting" every time I watch Youtube videos,
the good thing is that when I search for a new term or even a new gear model, or a popular technique
small channels and new suggestions appear..

I do too, but I keep getting the exact same videos popping up, even after I told them I didn't want to see anything from the channel. I keep getting the EXACT SAME VIDEO over and over. YouTube wants to push what it wants to push whether you want to watch it or not. Some channels disappear. YouTube favored channels do not.

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
but I keep getting the exact same videos popping up
I am not sure if this will help, but while choosing "tell why" (you dont like this video)
there is an option either to "kill" the whole channel's recommendations
or to "reverse" (kind of) your views: "you are seing "this" because you watched "that".
I stay subscribed to big channels but I usually choose "not interesting in channel"
as long I got them in my subscriptions tab. Quite confusing but seems to work...

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I am not sure if this will help, but while choosing "tell why" (you dont like this video)
there is an option either to "kill" the whole channel's recommendations
or to "reverse" (kind of) your views: "you are seing "this" because you watched "that".
I stay subscribed to big channels but I usually choose "not interesting in channel"
as long I got them in my subscriptions tab. Quite confusing but seems to work...
The option is "I have no interest in this channel" or however it's phrased. I say that. Still shows up. I wish it would get a clue that I have no interest in anything of a particular subject matter but it doesn't. I have never watched a sports video yet I get constant recommendations. I don't watch music videos, they're still everywhere even though I have said "No!" every single day.