Trail of Reddit

OburnE

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
After I read the pinned topic "which helps most" I decided to try reddit with brand new youtube account since I cannot post anything with my main channel and also I'm not playing games as often as I should so I don't have content.

I had this testing channel a little longer than a month. First week I dumped videos and use twitter and other social media to gain some subs reached 26 sub around first peak then I started reddit posts in an appropriate subreddit not videos subreddit, so I selected my target as perfect as possible. Some of my post went to the hot page of the subreddit.

The first days when I started with reddit, my posts get good stable hits. You will see in the graphs that the revenue and the views had a good relationship until I started with reddit. The stable region is the time I turn to reddit. I believe if I didn't use reddit my views would drop to beginning level since the view was coming from one specific video. I'm guessing youtube promoted that video for a day or two. So later including these past days my daily views at its peak due to reddit but the revenue is dropping down. My videos are not being suggested by other videos. Even my own video doesn't suggest my channel videos.

On the other hand, I had couple of video in first page of youtube search and once I post the video on reddit they went to 3th 4th pages including the video that I got so many hits about 4.5k. So, I don't know if it was related to reddit or some other factor. Additionally, the channel didn't gain any subs from reddit maybe 1 or 2

So my conclusion about reddit is that the views from the website is good if you are going to be happy only with views. My understanding is if you make your channel grow naturally and/or use social media evenly i.e. getting views from twitter, facebook etc. same (100 views from twitter 80 from FB 150 from reddit) that will let your channel grow naturally and let you gain subscribers. Being able to post videos on a first page of youtube search has a lot of benefits than all other social media platforms combined, at the beginning of your Youtube journey.

So this was quite long, if you have any question let me know.

PS. I'm not going to share the info of that channel since it was a test channel and I didn't enjoy what I did there.

Attachments

Reactions: Maxemole

AmuseYourBrain

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hello. Thanks for that. I always had problems with Reddit. Someone use it wisely but for me nothing but the reject from them. But nice to know different experiences.

PositivelyBrainwashed

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Dpending on what niche your in, Reddit can be great for accumulating subscribers. In the past 8 months I've probably gotten over 5k subs from Reddit and so they help with building an audience and getting your videos that massive watch time velocity. But the downside of reddit is that the audience retention watch time from it is below average. So you have to really make sure that your video is good or it might affect Youtube's algorithm to promote your video. Many of the big channels on my Niche initially used Reddit to build a big audience base and then slowly stopped using it.

Reactions: javacentral

OburnE

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hello. Thanks for that. I always had problems with Reddit. Someone use it wisely but for me nothing but the reject from them. But nice to know different experiences.
Yes, reddit has issues I was accused to be spammer when I was posting my gaming videos on related subreddits and get banned from the subreddits.

Dpending on what niche your in, Reddit can be great for accumulating subscribers. In the past 8 months I've probably gotten over 5k subs from Reddit and so they help with building an audience and getting your videos that massive watch time velocity. But the downside of reddit is that the audience retention watch time from it is below average. So you have to really make sure that your video is good or it might affect Youtube's algorithm to promote your video. Many of the big channels on my Niche initially used Reddit to build a big audience base and then slowly stopped using it.

As you say, it depends what you are doing exactly, I mean gaming channels don't have great chance on Reddit. Maybe not only reddit but the embedded videos on social platforms, an external source may give some negative nudge to algorithm to not show videos on the keyword search.

Additionally, I didn't mention in the first post that If I use channel search on youtube based on the key words I use in my videos, my channel is in first page before the Reddit it was end of 2nd page and beginning of 3th page. I think We need to be careful on social media sharing it has its own ups and downs.

AmuseYourBrain

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have seen the power of Reddit, when i had blog before. In few hours I received thousands of views but that only happened me once. After that only struggling to get back. I will try implementing your ideas

Grass Daddy

Reaction score
Reddit is too worried about self promotion for me. Every time I post anything there I get accused of spamming. I don't know if I'm using the wrong channels or what but it's annoying getting scolded.

AmuseYourBrain

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yes you are right. I have same experience. Only once i have the top experience with Reddit and never again

PositivelyBrainwashed

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Yes, reddit has issues I was accused to be spammer when I was posting my gaming videos on related subreddits and get banned from the subreddits.

As you say, it depends what you are doing exactly, I mean gaming channels don't have great chance on Reddit. Maybe not only reddit but the embedded videos on social platforms, an external source may give some negative nudge to algorithm to not show videos on the keyword search.

Additionally, I didn't mention in the first post that If I use channel search on youtube based on the key words I use in my videos, my channel is in first page before the Reddit it was end of 2nd page and beginning of 3th page. I think We need to be careful on social media sharing it has its own ups and downs.
How many days old was your post when it was in the first page? Youtube gives new videos a temporary boost in search to give it some chance to rank. But if it doesn't get enough watch time (and the amount of watch time depends on the competition for that keyword), then it will go down in rankings day by day. After 1 week the video will then be in a more steady place in search unless it massively gets traffic, then it can still climb up. But if you uploaded your video to reddit after 1 week, then you would have a stronger case.

Last edited:

OburnE

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Reddit is too worried about self promotion for me. Every time I post anything there I get accused of spamming. I don't know if I'm using the wrong channels or what but it's annoying getting scolded.
Yes reddit doesn't like small youtubers. :) Even other people post your video. In this case I asked my friends, still the post disappeared and I got the spammer message :)[DOUBLEPOST=1487872187,1487871945][/DOUBLEPOST]
How many days old was your post when it was in the first page? Youtube gives new videos a temporary boost in search to give it some chance to rank. But if it doesn't get enough watch time (and the amount of watch time depends on the competition for that keyword), then it will go down in rankings day by day. After 1 week the video will then be in a more steady place in search unless it massive gets traffic, then it can still climb up. But if you uploaded your video to reddit after 1 week, then you would have a stronger case.
About a week I believe.

Justoshow

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Animator
Thats cool, i do little short videos on my fb and Instagram and I cant even get them to come over to check it out. I have more views on my social media page then channel. I think i got like 3 or 4 people from reddit.