Top ten earners on YouTube 2017

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
According to Forbes, here are the top 10 earners on YouTube in 2017:

1. Daniel Middleton, also known as DanTDM

The British Minecraft afficionado made $16.5 million over the past 12 months thanks to his gaming channel. In the past, he has also released a graphic novel and toured in the US, in the UK and in Australia.

2. Evan Fong, also known as VanossGaming

The Toronto-based gamer, who has more than 21 million subscribers, brought in $15.5 million in 2017.

3. Dude Perfect

This group of five friends, who have gained 24 million subscribers thanks to their videos, which see them perform various stunts, earned $14 million.

4 (tie). Logan Paul and Mark Fischbach, also known as Markiplier

Logan, the brother of Jake Paul (who landed in seventh position of this ranking) and his fellow YouTube sensation made $12.5 million this year, like gamer Mark.

6. Felix Kjellberg, also known as PewPewDieDie

The Swedish vlogger dropped to sixth position after reaching the top of Forbes' ranking twice, with $12 million to his name. His fall from grace (which has still left him with more than 58 million subscribers) occurred after he used racist language.

7. Jake Paul

The former Disney Channel star has now turned into a hugely successful vlogger, who earned $11.5 million in the past 12 months.

8 (tie). Ryan ToysReview and Smosh

Six-year-old Ryan made $11 million this year, just like the comedy channel Smosh. The platform was created by Anthony Padilla and Ian Hecox, who stopped their partnership in June this year.

10. Lilly Singh

The Canadian comedian made this year's top 10 with $10.5 million worth of revenue. A New York Times bestselling author, she is the only woman in this ranking.

Source: https://www.forbes.com/pictures/5a275d6931358e286471a7e8/the-worlds-highest-paid-y/#29e694a02583

Congratulations to Ryan! (whose parents are a member of YTtalk. :) )

For the others, I'm not convinced that DanDTM earned more than the others. I don't doubt he earns a lot but his daily views are significantly lower than other channels. I'm guessing that Forbes still thinks that earnings are determined by total sub counts.

Anyway regardless, the amount of money being made at the top of the food chain is astounding! Thoughts?

That is cool and makes me want to consider going into gaming myself!
I watch Pewdiepie regularly (couple of time per week) but none of the others although I have heard of most of them.
My children have watched hours and hours or Ryan though so I guess they have contributed a dollar towards his college fund!
I wonder where I come on the list (if the list was endless) - 500'000 or so?

It sure is a lot of money they're making.

Honestly, I was actually expecting the amount to be higher (like about $50 million last year for the number one spot), but it's still a lot of money nonetheless.

I don't think I'd be ever be able to make this kind of money if I keep making the kind of videos that I've made so far on YouTube.

But you know what?

That's alright. I'm not particularly interested in monetizing my videos, let alone make a living off of YouTube when I become an adult. I just do it for fun, and that's a good enough motivation for me.

Felix Kjellberg, also known as PewPewDieDie
Am I the only one noticing this? xD PewPewDieDie, that's hilarious xD

I'm not really fond of rankings like this, especially for a platform like Youtube. It just really removes people from being 'normal', for some reason. I personally don't care what people own, as long as they are good persons.

I'm quite surprised Jacksepticeye didn't make it into the list. For a Youtuber his size who uploads twice a day and gets a million views on each video in average, I expected him to be (at least) on the second half of the list.

And if you made me guess who the top earner was, I probably wouldn't have guessed DanTDM at all regardless of how many tries you gave me. Good for him though.

Well that’s all fine and good. They are set for life, while we are not.

I’d rather see income speculation for middle level channels, because those are more realistic to fall into someday. None of us will ever make the top ten, except for the one channel that actually did.

So what of the average 100k channel? That’s what I’d like to know. And if nothing else, I’m far far far from the bottom 10 youtube earners, I’ll tell you that!

Interesting information, thanks for sharing.

It's incredible how much money is being made, and I think this is just the tip of the iceberg for video creators. I really hope that YouTube can develop and continue to grow, but in any case it has opened up a whole new world of entertainment that is clearly very popular and is here to stay. In my opinion the top creators are probably being over-paid by sponsors in some instances, whilst the smaller creators are probably not being paid enough. I suspect that over time we will see this balance out and there shall be some very interesting opportunities for people who persist and grow their channel.

Good for them. It shows just where the eyes are really going these days, which is always good information to have.

Back