To self promote or not

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I guess it depends on how you self promote, if you go on others videos and spam comments like "come and check out my videos and channel" it will be bad for you. But if you go on others and make relevant comments to the video, people will see it, and will be more likely to check out your channel!

Reactions: nomaname

ByeByeCubicle

Reaction score
Promoting yourself is vital, but it has to be framed in such a way that you are offering these potential viewers something they need or want.

When I promote myself, usually I approach it like this:
"I noticed you like making your own Halloween decorations, well in my channel I make a ton of Halloween tutorials.
So, you're offering help to a problem, need or desire.

Reframing your self promotion like this and shifting your mindset into, "How can my contente help people?", will work wonders.
Cheers,
ET

WolfWraith

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
If we're talking self promotion on someone else's feed or posts, then yeah it's bad,I'd even go as far as saying they should be banned just for the 1st offence alone. I instantly block that s**t if I see it happening on my channel or other social media posts, no warnings, nothing, just delete and block.

If we're talking about asking for subscribers in your own video (or your other social media posts), then you have absolutely every right to & should be [mind you, I never got into the habit of asking & still forget most of the time, a very unfortunate bad habit to have]. People who say to let something grow naturally when it comes to something business related, have generally never worked a day in their lives in a growing business. (Although maybe they already work for 1 that's so successful & big it'***** a plateau, you can never really tell with entitled & illogical idiots).

It's like being a salesman/saleswoman, a key piece of advice management usually pass on in the guides that people usually never read, is that you have every right to ask for the sale. A good salesman/saleswoman will rarely let a customer leave empty handed. If a customer is struggling to decide on something & you don't ask or press, it'll go nowhere. Trying to sell a laptop, you offered the customer a discount & they hit you with the "I'll think about it and get back to you." Or some bull like that (sometimes it's a getaway, sometimes they genuinely want time to think). So the best course of action; you print out of brochure or spec sheet, put your name on it or write up a quote for them with the discount (they don't leave empty handed) & ask them to come back to YOU. This way if they do come back, the sale is yours (doesn't go to your colleagues... most of the time) or you can even call them a few days later for a follow up and sometimes you come across a customer who actually forgot or didn't actually think about it until you brought it up again & decides there and then to come back to buy it.

It isn't all that different when it comes to your own videos & channel. You're sort of selling a service, despite the $0 upfront cost, people still need to invest time into your content but people forget. They don't come onto YouTube with the mindset of hunting for content creators (usually) they come on to switch off & wind down. Not everyone is avoiding that subscribe button on purpose. Believe it or not some people might actually be enjoying your videos that they don't realise they should or could subscribe. Asking for subscribers is a good reminder, either mid way or near the end of your video. Although I'm usually against asking at the start of a video, there's a very good reason why it's done and that's because it sticks with people, whether they like it or not (you remember when they ask, especially if you don't like it). I have loss count of the times I've watched a video, enjoyed it, then Youtube's recommendations keep suggesting that channel's videos & maybe 5-10 videos later I'm like "Wait, if I'm gonna keep watching their content so I should probably subscribe." It actually happened recently-ish with Quite Shallow, exactly like that actually & this happened over the course of a few days to a week.

Divine Authority

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
With how YouTube work nowadays? Yes it a must to have self-promotion. Facebook, Twitter and Instagram is the best to promote but it best not to spam. Nobody like it. Without self-promotion, both your videos and channel is not getting anywhere. It might sound annoying having to promote yourself but that how most YouTuber did to grow their channels.

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
Hay guys,

The other day someone on Twitter was bitching and moaning about people who ask for subscribers and was saying to “Let the channel grow naturally”.

So my question to you is simple, is it at all possible for a YouTube channel say under 2000 subs to grow naturally without promotion or is self-promoting a needs be to be able to grow?

I would really appreciate any replies
It depends on the video. But self promotion or paid promotion is going to be 1:1 a lot of the time. If you can get on the suggestions and home page it won’t be needed to promote. And it does happen because channels blow up all the time

Reactions: evoloz

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
If you are posting videos just for your own satisfaction and enjoyment then I wouldn't bother with self promotion.

If on the other hand you want to see your channel grow and prosper then you have to be prepared to self promote. As another poster here suggested I wouldn't bother with paid promotion, but creating an active instagram and twitter account, facebook page, inviting viewers to subscribe, starting a website, newsletters....they are all part of a successful strategy and cost you nothing except your time.

evoloz

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
It depends on the video. But self promotion or paid promotion is going to be 1:1 a lot of the time. If you can get on the suggestions and home page it won’t be needed to promote. And it does happen because channels blow up all the time
This is the key in my opinion because once you're getting people clicking through from the home page then they are genuinely interested in your content and as such produce good watch times, interaction and will watch future video releases.

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hay guys,

The other day someone on Twitter was bitching and moaning about people who ask for subscribers and was saying to “Let the channel grow naturally”.

So my question to you is simple, is it at all possible for a YouTube channel say under 2000 subs to grow naturally without promotion or is self-promoting a needs be to be able to grow?

I would really appreciate any replies
Honestly, your channel will always grow organically no matter if you ask people to subscribe or not. I have been starting to ask people to do it sometimes and give people an update on every cars and coffee video where my channel is vs the 10K subscriber goal I set myself. At the end of every newer video is a segment calling to action for comments, likes and subscriptions. If it works? I don't know. But I do it regardless.

Mister20seven

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Yes to self-promotion from my side. As many people already said, you should not spam and post some "look at my channel" comments. Sharing your video on facebook or twitter every now and then and / or participating in appropriate subreddits can help a lot.