To script or not to script?

Cmullinax93

Colby Wan-Kenobi
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
That is thy question...

So I am wondering if I should script my intro vlog video or just go with the flow. I'm a tad nervous about starting my channel up, but I really want to do it.

This first video I post will more of an about me video and what you'll come to expect with my vlogs and get out of them. But, the vlogs themselves are more for my family and friends to watch and keep up with my life as I'm on the other side of the world from them for the next 2 years

Thank you for your time and have a great day/evening‼‼

Maxemole

Resident Potato
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I like scripting things. I tend to improv in it here and there and that actually makes me feel more comfortable. When I eventually get around to un-scripting things I think that will have been a big help.

Reactions: Cmullinax93

SmartTheDumb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Are you an idiot like me who has to practice the same sentence 200 times before he can say it without stuttering? Then do script.
Are you talented enough to just talk out of your mouth, and remember what you were talking about? Then just do it.

Cmullinax93

Colby Wan-Kenobi
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Thank you both for the wonderful info :)

Are you an idiot like me who has to practice the same sentence 200 times before he can say it without stuttering? Then do script.
Are you talented enough to just talk out of your mouth, and remember what you were talking about? Then just do it.
This was hilarious I loved your wording here xD I just feel as if if I don't script I'll be doing a lot of ums and uhs

Weekend Noobs

If the week gets you down then join us and unwind
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
scripting tends to be a bit robotic so if you are after a natural approach but want to reduce stuttering and ums and ahs etc. Then why not use bullet points?
Write down the areas you wish to cover and any aspects of those areas you defo wish to say, then just improvise around it as if you were talking to you family member right infront of you.....only you're the one talking of course lol
Be a bit weird if you started responding to a conversation that wasnt happening :confused:

Cmullinax93

Colby Wan-Kenobi
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
scripting tends to be a bit robotic so if you are after a natural approach but want to reduce stuttering and ums and ahs etc. Then why not use bullet points?
Write down the areas you wish to cover and any aspects of those areas you defo wish to say, then just improvise around it as if you were talking to you family member right infront of you.....only you're the one talking of course lol
Be a bit weird if you started responding to a conversation that wasnt happening :confused:
Thanks I'll definitely look into do bullet points :)

StraightUpIrish

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Im actually going to try the bullet point thing now XD I have used scripts for the last 3 years but maybe a change wouldn't hurt :)

Vivian King

I've Got It
Reaction score
I write out a full script for my videos, just to ensure that I make my videos as entertaining as possible and I know that I'll be more comfortable recording myself. You could also do bullet points if you feel you want to be a little more free flowing.

J0eyy

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I don't have a script on my videos since they are gaming but in your case I think you should, it would make it very entertaining :D

ScienceIsFun

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I make educational videos so I do script out everything. I've made chattier videos, and there I usually type a script, and then condense it to bullet points so I don't get stuck when I'm delivering it.

I don't think there's any harm in scripting - it's a bit of an art to script something to sound natural, but it's certainly doable - and most channels do script (they just make it look like there's not been much prep to it, but there definitely has been ;) )

As you do it more, you may find you only need bullet points rather than full scripts, but I think it's always helpful to have something to fall back on.