To monetize or not to monetize?

Ayden TravelsandToys

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
:) What are the pros and cons?
What if you didn't monetize (and/or didn't learn how) and one of your awesome videos went viral overnight? Would you have missed an opportunity? :crying:

What are your thoughts good people of YTtalk?

Alexander Hoff

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I say you should start doing it right away. Even if you only earn a cent a month lol. People are so used to ads nowadays that no one cares anymore. And if they do, they're using adblock anyway haha.

PositivelyBrainwashed

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I'm so tempted to turn my monetization on but I promised myself not to do it until I get around 5000 subscribers or 1000 viewers per day without any new video upload momentum. I know I'm losing some income, but I know every 35 person who gets annoyed by an ad and leaves is one subscriber I've lost.

Its Ryan

Youtuber?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I never monetize my videos. Its cuz i make videos for fun and if one day i get famous then yea lol imma turn on the monetization, but i don't monetize my videos rn. Especially at 200 subs. And i don't think anyone else should do that either.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Youtube is a business not a charity. It's owned by the biggest ad server on the planet. Google.
You need to show them your goals are aligned to theirs - fantastic viewer experience and profit maximization.
I highly doubt they will send significant traffic to a channel that's not monetized, what's their incentive?
I think that's the main reason to monetize. Plus what everyone else said. But in corporate America, the greatest incentive is profit maximization. We are just tiny clogs in a giant ad machine. Go with the flow. It's easier.

Ayden TravelsandToys

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
If you monetize that's totally fine. It's there for a reason lol

Just note that you won't be making millions of dollars from YouTube.
Lol! Unless ur a big channel. :) Will it hurt you in any way if you monetize early?[DOUBLEPOST=1473467479,1473467406][/DOUBLEPOST]
Nothing wrong about make a couple extra cents on youtube :)
Haha. Word. :bounce:[DOUBLEPOST=1473467557][/DOUBLEPOST]
I say you should start doing it right away. Even if you only earn a cent a month lol. People are so used to ads nowadays that no one cares anymore. And if they do, they're using adblock anyway haha.
Good point. Thanks![DOUBLEPOST=1473467685][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm so tempted to turn my monetization on but I promised myself not to do it until I get around 5000 subscribers or 1000 viewers per day without any new video upload momentum. I know I'm losing some income, but I know every 35 person who gets annoyed by an ad and leaves is one subscriber I've lost.
Interesting point. People unsubscribe bc of ads? Why is that? Also, do your subscriber numbers fluctuate daily?[DOUBLEPOST=1473467784][/DOUBLEPOST]
I say monetize because
a) People are used to seeing ads and
b) Your audience is better off seeing ads from the get go rather than all of a sudden
I think you're right. Almost every video has ads nowadays.[DOUBLEPOST=1473467912][/DOUBLEPOST]
I never monetize my videos. Its cuz i make videos for fun and if one day i get famous then yea lol imma turn on the monetization, but i don't monetize my videos rn. Especially at 200 subs. And i don't think anyone else should do that either.
That's great. I'm glad you're having fun with all your videos. Can you monetize at 15?[DOUBLEPOST=1473468165][/DOUBLEPOST]
Youtube is a business not a charity. It's owned by the biggest ad server on the planet. Google.
You need to show them your goals are aligned to theirs - fantastic viewer experience and profit maximization.
I highly doubt they will send significant traffic to a channel that's not monetized, what's their incentive?
I think that's the main reason to monetize. Plus what everyone else said. But in corporate America, the greatest incentive is profit maximization. We are just tiny clogs in a giant ad machine. Go with the flow. It's easier.
Go with the flow. :)
How does google send traffic to your channel? And why would they?