To Copyright Infringe or to not Copyright Infringe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Th3StuffShow

YTtalk Monster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Copyright Infringement on YouTube, how does it really work?

I'm at a point that where I'm getting lots of funny ideas involving stars, popular music, TV Shows etc.. but I'm hesitating to use any of these ideas. What copyrighted material can I use, and how?

I'm pretty sure that If I use copyrighted material to make fun of the source, that I have every legal right to do so. So like I can make a puppet that looks like Lady Gaga and use one of her songs to make fun of her, but as an example, I can't use one of her songs to make fun of Madonna.

Here's another example. I can use a song from Lady Gaga to use in my Documentary or educational video. As long as it's used for educational purposes, you many use copyrighted material in your videos.

But what about other cases of copyright infringement?

What If I us a Product? Like Jif Peanut butter in a video. In theory you could be in trouble, but lets think about this. As long as you're not making fun of the product, it's at their advantage for you to be using their product, especially if you get views. So chances are it will pass.

Now what about channels that upload lip-syncing videos etc.? They aren't allowed to use those songs, but still do, and some get famous from this and eventually monetize their videos and make money.

I'm a tad confused from all this......

Should I just make what ever video comes to mind and not worry about all this? or Should I stay away from the whole thing? I personally think that some of these ideas of mine could be the difference between YouTube success or fail but I'm kinda worried about this whole copyright thing. :/

I know lots of people use copyrighted material and get away with it. I figure as long as you don't monetize those specific videos you're ok. Or are you? Some people get their videos removed, account suspended or closed, and more.

What are your thoughts guys?

Krowwzz

^^ Cool Dude
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I just wouldn't do it, you never know when some company will take a s**t-fit and get your channel taken down... It's happened me :/

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I am confused myself when it comes to copyright on there so I try and not use anything that could possibly be questionable, in your situation I would make puppets that look like people, make fun of them yeah but I wouldn't include any music by them or anyone else unless it is free for commercial use. I wouldn't even mime lyrics or sing them myself with or without any backing music because you know what people and businesses are like, you would probably get it taken down just for singing the lyrics :rolleyes: No one really knows what fair use is and it certainly needs to be a lot clearer for people in this digital age. As a rule I would try and not use anything that isnt my own in any video that I plan on making money off, whether that's imagery, music, lyrics, quotes, video clips and so on. I know there are plenty of people on there who are partnered making a fortune even though they use copyrighted photography of celebrities in their work without hassle and I doubt they all go asking this one and that one for permission to use them. I think its a risk only you can decide for yourself whether to take it or not, I wouldn't myself though.

@Acrowley, what happened there?

Reactions: Nytician

Nytician

I've Got It
Reaction score
Yeah I think its best to be safe than sorry, and with SOPA and other laws on the horizon its best to just make everything yourself. You can try using music from royalty free sites etc though that way you can still have cool music in your production.

Reactions: Michael

Krowwzz

^^ Cool Dude
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I am confused myself when it comes to copyright on there so I try and not use anything that could possibly be questionable, in your situation I would make puppets that look like people, make fun of them yeah but I wouldn't include any music by them or anyone else unless it is free for commercial use. I wouldn't even mime lyrics or sing them myself with or without any backing music because you know what people and businesses are like, you would probably get it taken down just for singing the lyrics :rolleyes: No one really knows what fair use is and it certainly needs to be a lot clearer for people in this digital age. As a rule I would try and not use anything that isnt my own in any video that I plan on making money off, whether that's imagery, music, lyrics, quotes, video clips and so on. I know there are plenty of people on there who are partnered making a fortune even though they use copyrighted photography of celebrities in their work without hassle and I doubt they all go asking this one and that one for permission to use them. I think its a risk only you can decide for yourself whether to take it or not, I wouldn't myself though.

@Acrowley, what happened there?
Basically, me and my friends, on our joint channel (which had 350 subs), and a song was played for about 5 seconds, the company go the whole channel deleted.

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Basically, me and my friends, on our joint channel (which had 350 subs), and a song was played for about 5 seconds, the company go the whole channel deleted.
Did the account have previous warnings before this happened for other infringements or was this a straight up deletion without any problems in the past? That sounds very harsh, was the video being monetised or getting loads of views?

Krowwzz

^^ Cool Dude
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Did the account have previous warnings before this happened for other infringements or was this a straight up deletion without any problems in the past? That sounds very harsh, was the video being monetised or getting loads of views?
11,000 views in a week...

Straight up, no warning total deletion.

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
11,000 views in a week...

Straight up, no warning total deletion.
Sorry for all the questions, that's pretty bad, you would think they would warn you about it first or remove the video in question, outright deletion seems very harsh.

Krowwzz

^^ Cool Dude
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Sorry for all the questions, that's pretty bad, you would think they would warn you about it first or remove the video in question, outright deletion seems very harsh.
Yeah we thought the same :(

Status
Not open for further replies.