To all scriptwriters, do you bother writing a script for your Youtube videos?

Tom Elliott

I've Got It
Reaction score
If I'm doing a freeform vlog then I won't script it but if I'm doing it about a subject I'll get together some key facts and write them downn
and do a small script.

Sometimes I find scripting things gets rid of the unwanted erms and ums!

Voice of Vanessa

Dimple-Smiles <3
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I guess technically my Vlog on Youtube would be considered scripted.

Before I started my channel I had a folder on my computer that I used as a journal (I didn't use a hand written journal because I get cramps in my hand from writing too long). This journal was used to write down my thoughts and emotions about situations and subjects that occur in my everyday life. I would write down my RAW feelings...for about 15-20mins without stopping (basically free-writing) about what I was thinking.
Sometimes what I wrote about was hilarious or depressing. Or I write something that's Happy or I would Rant. Then a bad situation happened in my life that when I had the chance to speak up and use my voice, I didn't. So then I came up with The Voice of Vanessa. A place where I can talk about what I think and just voice my opinion and be myself. The show is basically made up off of my Computer Journal. I take each journal entry and compress it into a script that can be turned into a 1-4 minute video. :) In this case I don't think I'll run out of ideas because as long as I write in my journal I'll have things to talk about!

So yea...scripted I guess. But in my little world I don't think It is...

Reactions: Stef

Stef

STEF SZN
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Scripts are for those who get lost in front of the camera and get shy and nervous
Not always.

JustKev, it didn't sound scripted to me, it sounded good. For me, I script my vlogs because I feel better that I get the point that I'm trying to make across, and I'm not leaving out anything. To me it sounds a lot more interesting too. Some stuff is sort of on the spot, so it helps to have those moments in there. When you're reading a script it shouldn't sound monotone.

Werewilf

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Most of my videos are improvised with a basic outline of what's going to happen. But my two latest videos were scripted, but i didn't follow it too closely. Usually I'd come up with a funnier line while i was recording and change it to that.

Future History Projects

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Great responses, guys. Love hearing about the different approaches we take. I always admire the youtubers who can go 8 mins without stopping the camera but still keep up the energy and not make it sound monotone. I'm going to do vlog #6 soon and I will still script it but hopefully go more unscripted and see where it leads me.

TimBarnumComedy

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
All of my stuff is scripted. This video, a little news parody I do every couple of weeks, is kind of basic, just copy. I've done some other stuff with other people, and I use a program called celtx. You can download it for free. Feel free to hit me up if you have more questions about it. Here's a link to one of my scripted videos. I posted this April 8:

--- merged: Apr 13, 2012 12:52 AM ---
Also, do you just use your webcam for your vlogs? I've been thinking of doing some.

Th3StuffShow

YTtalk Monster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I know i should, but I don't. I will start sooner or later though.

JTAphotographs

Ask me anything. ANYTHING! o_O
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Reviewer, Designer, Cartoonist
I don't do vlogs and don't really plan on doing them but they need to seem natural to the viewer to watch. However, if you are doing a commentary for something (like a game) you need to make sure that there are no blank spots in the commentary, so brief planning is quite useful :)

JDTheGuru

JD DAILY VLOGGING!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I do daily vlogs and I don't write a script for them at all, but I am also an actor which I need to read a lot of scripts for outside of YouTube. Currently reading a script for tonight as I am involved in a Murder Mystery.

JTAphotographs

Ask me anything. ANYTHING! o_O
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Reviewer, Designer, Cartoonist
I do daily vlogs and I don't write a script for them at all, but I am also an actor which I need to read a lot of scripts for outside of YouTube. Currently reading a script for tonight as I am involved in a Murder Mystery.
sounds cool man :) what kind of size audiences are you performing in front of when acting?