Tips: "How Do I Get Views/Subscribers?"

unknown_user0032

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Obviously I am nowhere near an expert on this, but I have found lately due to a little surge in my sub/view count that I'm getting lots of private messages/comments asking me the above question, so I thought I would voice some ideas and opinions as to what I believe has worked for me so far.

I've been on YouTube for 18 days, and have somehow gained 132 subscribers, and just under 1,400 video views (I personally think this is a low sub-to-view count ratio, but it's relative I suppose!)

So here's a little FAQ I knocked up to answer those people, and for anyone new who might be curious. Enjoy, and by all means feel free to add/contest anything! Obviously I do gaming commentary, so that's the point of reference I'll mostly make.

1. Upload often, but not too often
I was recently subscribed to a chap who had almost 200 subscribers, but he uploaded so often that his videos had next to zero views. or comments/ratings He would upload up to 12 videos in the space of an hour, and over a couple of days, those videos would chock up 4 or 5 views between them.

His commentary was actually pretty good, but nobody watched it because it was just flooding in like video spam.

If you have 12 videos recorded, each lasting 15 minutes - upload one a day, maximum (especially if you're new and the demand isn't there). Nobody's going to sit and watch five hours a day of content. also, this will give you more content for the future so you'll never run out. In short, leave them wanting more, not wanting to punch their screen whenever they see a new video.

Likewise, try and upload 2-3 times a week, if not daily. Channels with monthly or bi-monthly videos simply won't get the attention they deserve.

2. Title and Tag Thy Video Well, Young Padawan
No, seriously. I know of another YouTuber (names omitted for obvious reasons!) who does vlogs. Every single title has 'hot girl' or 'sexy' or 'naked' in. Mostly she's just standing on her phone yammering about how boring work was. Worse, she has a four year old child in many of her videos.

Now don't get me wrong. She has almost HALF A MILLION video views. But she only has 1,500 subscribers (since 2007), 5 or 6 likes on each video and a small group of about a dozen genuine subscribers who leave comments.

To prevent the wrong attention, and empty views that don't result in a little community of subscribers, be as honest as you can. Have you made a video about smashing melons with a rubber chicken? There's your title and tags right there! Believe me, if it's good content, the people will eventually come. It's not a race, give it time.

3. Don't spam. Let me repeat that: DON'T SPAM
Every day, on larger YouTuber's videos, you'll see someone new to the bandwagon who wants to plug their channel, so they leave a copy/paste message asking the viewers of another YouTuber to visit them. This rarely, if ever works. In fact it usually results in outright hate for your channel, even if it's undeserved.

If you want to get your channel name out there, which is obviously the best way of growing, join a forum or a chat -- this place is PERFECT for it, as it allows promotion in signatures and on specific forums. Sending mass YouTube private messages, and spam posting on every gaming video you see simply doesn't work.

4. Quality!
Now I'm not saying my videos are sooper-dooper-omg-awesome-as-ostriches-aw-yeah and what have you. Nowhere near. But I put a lot of work into my videos, and I like to believe that it has paid off. If you want a good video that will keep people interested my tips are as follows:

4a. Don't mumble - speak loud, clear and casually - but ham it up a little, you're speaking to an audience, think like a radio presenter! Doing a vlog? Think like a TV presenter!

4b. Act natural - if you're not naturally a goofball, don't try to act like one. Likewise, don't make angry raging videos if you're naturally laid back. People will be able to tell. The nerves will be there at the start, while you're finding your own style, but let it happen, don't force it.

4c. Invest in your videos! - I know some users are young, and can't afford it, but there are many cheap alternatives to the big brands. If you're gaming, people will instantly be put off if you use the free bandicam version with the logo and the black border. Likewise, if you have some massive watermark from trial editing software. You don't need adobe premiere to edit your video, just find a cheap, or free, one from around the internet. Look hard enough, you'll find it.

5. Keep trying, it's not a race
I said this above but I wanted to reinforce that opinion. No, not opinion, I believe this is a fact. YouTube isn't a race. Some people have been doing this since 2005/2006 and have millions of followers. If you've been on YouTube three years and only have 200, that's 200 more than some people do. Just enjoy your time on the site, make your content and interact with the people who do visit your videos.

Well that was longer than expected. Hopefully that helped shed a little light on what I think gains (and loses) views/subs. Again, please feel free to add or contest anything!

Frankie :wacky2:

Reactions: Vicboss

voider30

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian
These are amazing tips for newbies amazing I tell you Amazing!

skenkee

Mr. Blue
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Nice :) Maybe you can add twitter, facebook, reddit in there as well. I think it would make the package almost complete! Great Job!

ThatIsMyTake

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
I can attest to the "NO SPAM!" rule. hehe. I used to have a channel where I wanted to get into technological reviews and rumors and such and I tried mass messaging probably close to like 200 people being like "Hey check this out blah blah blah" in like an essay! A) It's not fun. It really isn't. It feels like work. and B) It feels like work, but it won't work. All the messages I got back from that (which were like 3) were like "Go away." (to be nice hehe) Yeah don't do that. All the other rules are very good as well but just wanted to share a story of a (at the time) 15 boy who wanted to be famous and tried spamming. hehe. :p

THEXREACTER

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator
nice tips.. that's exactly what i've been doing..the downside is it may work WELL for some and NOT SO WELL for others.. but its still good to follow it :):up:

2CanadianGamers

Certified Canadian
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Great guide! But one thing I'm interested about when you said a low Sub-to-view count did you mean not many subs per view??? Cause if so then you are crazy. Currently you are getting almost 1 sub per 10 views which is insanely high, the only people I normally see like this our people who sub4sub. Btw I'm not accusing you of that at all.

unknown_user0032

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Great guide! But one thing I'm interested about when you said a low Sub-to-view count did you mean not many subs per view??? Cause if so then you are crazy. Currently you are getting almost 1 sub per 10 views which is insanely high, the only people I normally see like this our people who sub4sub. Btw I'm not accusing you of that at all.
Oh I know you're not :) I guess I see double that (1:20 sub-view ratio) as 'really good'. Maybe I'm underestimating it! :eek:

Good point about the social networking, I might throw in an edit later to mention. I don't use these things myself, so I didn't think to put it in!

Lawlz

I has it :D
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Those are some rlly good tips :D Those will sure help some newbies :D