Tips for wind?

MrMizo

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger
Any tips for making video on a windy day? I have a rode mic pro with a dead cat. When I'm recording audio you still can pick up the wind, should I set my d/b higher or lower?

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Wind has always been a big struggle with me.
I ended up switching to an Audio Technica (8024 I think) for outdoor/vacation/vlogging like videos cause wind was never my friend. I find it to not pick up as much wind noise compared to my Rode Shotgun microphone with the dead cat/wind muff.

For higher productions the Rode Ntg2 and any newer models tend to cut out a huge amount of wind noise. These are high condenser microphones with a wind cover and a dead cat both which do a fantastic job. But they are pricy and require an adapter in order to use with the camera plus are a huge hassle to carry around if you wanted to vlog with it.

For your set up I'd recommend using a "High Pass filter" if your mic has that option. Keep the wind cover and/or dead cat on. That always helps a ton.
Then when you do record outdoors if it's super windy stick to a wall nearby and stay away from hills or higher ground.
Afterwards in post you can reduce the wind noise in an editor like Audacity (which is free to use) if you know how to. I'd recommend looking up the necessary tutorial and then syncing it back to your original video.

Hope that helps a bit.
I live in Nevada so wind has always been an ongoing issue for me but over the years it is starting to get better. Mainly with my newer equipment and knowledge on how to battle it so I get better audio when I need to be outdoors.
Best of luck!

Reactions: MrMizo

MrMizo

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger
Wind has always been a big struggle with me.
I ended up switching to an Audio Technica (8024 I think) for outdoor/vacation/vlogging like videos cause wind was never my friend. I find it to not pick up as much wind noise compared to my Rode Shotgun microphone with the dead cat/wind muff.

For higher productions the Rode Ntg2 and any newer models tend to cut out a huge amount of wind noise. These are high condenser microphones with a wind cover and a dead cat both which do a fantastic job. But they are pricy and require an adapter in order to use with the camera plus are a huge hassle to carry around if you wanted to vlog with it.

For your set up I'd recommend using a "High Pass filter" if your mic has that option. Keep the wind cover and/or dead cat on. That always helps a ton.
Then when you do record outdoors if it's super windy stick to a wall nearby and stay away from hills or higher ground.
Afterwards in post you can reduce the wind noise in an editor like Audacity (which is free to use) if you know how to. I'd recommend looking up the necessary tutorial and then syncing it back to your original video.

Hope that helps a bit.
I live in Nevada so wind has always been an ongoing issue for me but over the years it is starting to get better. Mainly with my newer equipment and knowledge on how to battle it so I get better audio when I need to be outdoors.
Best of luck!
Thank you for such a detailed response, I really appreciate it!

Reactions: Farley Productions

born2sail

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
The professional solution for your problem is called "blimp". If that's not enough you can put a dad cat over the blimp and start a career as a tornado filmer ;-)

Blimps cost about 200$ but there are some tutorial on how to make them yourself and than you get away with 50$.

Sometimes it helps to squat down. The wind at the ground level is slower. Winddirection also makes a difference, try to cover the mic with you body having the wind in your back.

Reactions: Farley Productions

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Oh - I was just going to recommend Rennie

• Haha
Reactions: Michael

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I never have any issues with wind using the Zoom H5 with the XY and Shotgun mic capsules and deadcats on both of them. I tend to turn the mic down a little so it isnt on 10, usually around 7 to 8.

Reactions: MrMizo