Tips For Vlogging

Riley Owen

That Aussie Vlogger
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey guys! Today I just want to share some tips that might be helpful for you guys with you want to start vlogging on YouTube. These can also apply to other types of videos as well :) I don't really vlog myself but these are some things I want to see and what I would be interested in if I came across a vlogging channel I haven't seen before.

1. HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY
Unless you have 100k subscribers, then no one is going care want you had for breakfast or how you get dressed. You're just a stranger to them at this point in time. I'm sure you wouldn't want to watch someone that you've never seen or heard of before telling you about their daily life. Think of some topics that you think would interest the viewers. Watch your video and ask yourself "Would i watch this?" Pretend that you're on a stage and there are thousands of people in front of you, what would you say?

2. QUALITY
People these days don't want to watch a 240p recording of someone they can't hear or see. If you're serious about vlogging, you HAVE TO have HD quality video (and audio). If you have a iPhone or another phone that takes HD video, use that. But if you don't, I would recommend something small, cheap and great quality. For example, the Canon Powershot series. Great cameras and all the big YouTube vloggers use these ie. Jim Chapman, JoeyGraceffa, Luke Conard

3. AUDIO MAKES THE VLOG
If people can't hear you, then they will just click away no matter what topic you are talking about. Make sure the camera you have has great audio or invest in a good external microphone.

4. BE CONFIDENT AND TALK LOUD
Vlogging might seem like you're talking to your self (technically you are xD) but really you are talking to a real audience of people. Don't be afraid to vlog in public, when are you going to see those people again? If you can't talk in front of the camera, then why bother vlogging.

Also, be loud and expressive (but don't yell!) People do not what to see someone mumbling and stand still. Have a loud, clear and expressive voice and move around a little. Make jump cuts to keep the viewer interested.

5. BE YOUR SELF
People can see if a person is being fake. Just be yourself, don't give a f**k and have fun! xD

- Rilo The Rathlubian

Lilikoi Juice

I do all my own graphics!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator
Very basic standards but good tips; it relates to non-vlogging videos as well.

Reactions: Matias Riojas III

TheWillBox

I make moving pictures!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I was just talking to the guys in the hangout, jokingly, I said the key to vlogging is being British and having cool hair haha.