Tips for scripting a video

Vice Versas

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer
My friend and I recently creating videos for YouTube. We play couch co-op & versus games with forfeits.

We have a pretty good friendship which I think shows through in the video when we're trash talking and chatting etc. However we're realising that we have to be a lot more deliberate in how we come across but we don't want look like we've rehearsed lines. I guess it's a little like improvisation.

How do you guys go about scripting a video but still retaining that natural feel?

Looking forward to feedback :)

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
It really depends on what kind of video you want to script and make. If it's just you and your friend sitting on the couch playing video games then you might not need to script something that comes naturally to you both otherwise it might come across as awkward to try to force something. Especially if comedy is what your subscribers come back for.

If you were both considering doing a review of a videogame/movie/book/etc. Then a script would be a good idea. But scripts can also span much more then just those subjects alone. When I get ready to write a script for an old movie review here are some things I do to get ready for it.

1. Take Notes. (Include Time-stamps of the movie to find your spot.)
2. Script writing with Word Software (Include format such as Story, music, characters, etc.)
3. Film.
4. Edit.

Scripts can take many forms. And as long as it doesn't come across as forced I believe you and your friend can write scripts of video game scenarios and add some footage to it. But are you going for skits or want the video to just be natural? I guess it depends on exactly what you are planning on making. =]

oscarflowers

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
don't script a video game video, unless it's a few lines of funny back and forth planned.

Conight

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If you force yourself to write a script, it probably wont be as good as if you naturally thought of the ideas, it may feel manufactured or bland, I'm sure your natural creations would be better ^^

ThisisJericho

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Practice practice practice. Say it like you mean it. Say it like your not reading from your notepad or script. Then afterwards you will be so natural at it, then kabaaaaam!!! Everything becomes second nature

Heather White

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
As a fitness channel, I love scripting my videos so I have a general plan of what I'm going to say. So, to prevent rambling and saying "um" to much, I like to write out everything I'm going to be making a point on. And then making touching on those points a little more in depth.

Julia and Claire

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
What we do is have a general idea of what we want to say, and we talk about that ahead of time. That way, we leave room to joke around together, but don't ramble. We will also script lines, but then we can also add in things we think of on the spot so it's more natural. For skit videos, we script our lines ahead of time.

chill_bro_videos

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My friend and I recently creating videos for YouTube. We play couch co-op & versus games with forfeits.
If you understand what the message of your content should be, then simply

We have a pretty good friendship which I think shows through in the video when we're trash talking and chatting etc. However we're realising that we have to be a lot more deliberate in how we come across but we don't want look like we've rehearsed lines. I guess it's a little like improvisation.

How do you guys go about scripting a video but still retaining that natural feel?

Looking forward to feedback :)
Sometimes I have talking points rather than memorized lines. For example, perhaps I know in the first part of my sketch is to talk about the name of a product, then second; its attributes and third; the many reasons someone should buy a product I am trying to sell them. If you know the direction of what your message should be, and you know what you are talking about, than simply writing prompts out should be enough.

When I do this, I simply write out one word phrases in the order I should address them. (e.g. product, attributes, selling points) I hit record, look at the paper to cue myself, and go ahead and start talking!

Hope this helps buddy!