Tips for longer content?

TMDSkates

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
So I am a Youtube skateboarder, and I find it really hard to make content. Between injuries, going out to find new places to skate since I don't want to make the scenery the same all the time. Are there any ways that I can make my content any longer and more interesting without adding a ton of boring footage that just doesn't mix in?

I appreciate it! :)

Kyonite

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Comedian
You could switch up your content with comedy bits maybe if that's your thing, like you could be skating and than somebody calls you out and you make something of that. You could also use high impact music and when you land your biggest trick in the video the "drop" happens. It doesn't even have to be dubstep, just try to keep the music high energy to mix with the video style. You could change up the appearance of the video too without switching parks, like painting your board or something, or getting your channel design on your board. Just a couple ideas. Hope I helped!

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I moved this to the video ideas / planning forum. :)

Magic Pete

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Not sure if I can advise. Not only have I never had anything to do with skateboarding, I’m at a very advanced age which makes it 100% certain that I never will. However, I do produce videos. I haven't seen one of your videos but think I understand what you mean.

Try interviewing some of your colleagues and then get them to demonstrate their skills especially any special ‘tricks’ they might be proud of Get the subject to show and discuss the skateboard being used. Preplan your questions and break up the interview at the editing stage with cut-away shots of some action. This will ensure that it’s not a continuous talking head all the time. Try recording your subject at various angles and locations to add variety. I’ve no idea what camera you are using, but would hope that you have the facilitates for getting a good voice recording.

Each subject recording could be quite long and so a separate video could be made for each of your various friends that you interview. Hope this will get your creative juices flowing and maybe we will see what you create.
All the best. Pete.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Maybe try doing new tricks with your skwkeboard.
Try skateboarding longer.
Sorry I really don’t know much about skateboarding but I wish you the best of luck:)

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Thats the wrong plan you have there and won't work for you. You don't want longer videos.. You need longer watch time retention. Say for example you make 3 minute long videos that people watch for 2 minutes (66%).. thats way better than a 10 minute video that someone watches for 1 minute (10%). Because a video with low watch time retention will not get suggested /pushed by youtube and no1 will ever see your content etc. or see it less.
You could in fact make your videos shorter than what they are now getting rid of dead zones with some ruthless editing and cutting. And that might multiple your views x10 getting you way more watch time by doing exactly the opposite to what you planned.
In short only concentrate on making good content that someone gets value from watching!!. nothing else matter or at least is secondary. This part is hard to get and most people bash their head against wall for months getting it wrong.

Reactions: Courtney Candice

Mister20seven

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
I'm thinking of trying to get back in to skateboarding currently :D
I watched your videos, don't know which camera you use, but you culd try to put in different angles. Do the same trick twice and mix it together, for example the boardslide you did on the rail. Put the camera on the rail behind you, do the trick and then in front of you and do it again.
If you bail anything, put it in there and then the same trick when you land it afterwards. Our just record a few moments of you doing a break / getting to the spot or anything that happens beside the skating.
It can bring more variety to your video as well as you have more footage and you can make your video longer, if you want to.

Last edited:

YouTube4x4

I've Got It
Reaction score
How about if you mix it up a bit and showcase a skateboarding product, something that your audience might find useful. I am sure you can find some low cost items to start with.

Some "how to" or "tips" videos might also work well. I have limited knowledge about skateboarding but I think this works on other genres or topics.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk