Tips for building confidence for speeches and YouTube videos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Does anyone here have any tips for building up your confidence for when getting on camera for the first time on YouTube, I am not specifically asking for myself although I would like to know what others do when theyre camera shy. I know I would dread going on camera myself because of all kinds of concerns and worries and I think I could benefit from some tips in the future when I do start getting on camera.

I guess I feel that way because I have heard all of the stories and seen what is said about other people and I wouldnt particularly like to be in their shoes myself being called names and so on. It seems like youre having a job interview and we all know how nerve wrecking they can be for people.

So, does anyone have any tips for building confidence up for getting on camera and for not seeming nervous to an audience?

Token

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Well the good thing is that it's a job interview that you completely control. Everyone has issues their first few times, and that's totally acceptable. The best advice I'd have to give would really all depend on what you're going on camera for, but I'll try and give it the "big picture" approach.

Whether you're talking for a news show, vlog, or just talking to the camera: The same laws of commentary work for speaking in front of the camera. Be sure to look INTO the camera, as if you're talking to a friend. If you have one of those nifty flip screens, I suggest you not have that on you while recording. For one, it can be a distraction and give you something else to look at instead of the lens. Also, if you're going to vlog, have an idea in mind of what you want to talk about, even take notes so you can remind yourself of important subjects you want to cover in the vlog/news thing/whatever else you kids do nowadays.

Also, do not be afraid of the power of jump cuts! Don't worry in your first few vlogs if you feel like you're the most boring person ever because you can't seem to stop saying "uhhhhh." That can all be edited out post production. Focus on building your confidence by repeatedly getting in front of that camera and talking.

That's the best advice...don't question yourself and do it. You'll get a lot more positivity than negativity, I've learned.

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
That does help a lot Token thanks, I was hoping to be doing a channel in the future related to YTtalk like how we talk about things like this and video editing and setup etc similar to the tubetape channel but with YouTube focused tutorials and tips in there as well, sounds a bit daft or hypocritical saying that now and me asking these kinds of questions but everyone starts somewhere and I am still learning myself, so that is what I can see myself doing.

I think it is mostly how people perceive others that concerns me more than anything as the world is very judgemental and even more so on YouTube.

I dont have any issues looking at the camera or directly at the lens from my test videos I make. Our camera has one of them flip things that shuts off the camera when it is closed but I shouldnt be too distracted if I practice enough. I am sure your post will help a lot of others out there looking to build theirs too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.