Tips/advice for recording solo?

Vice Versas

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer
I've been recording videos with a friend for a past few weeks for our channel and we're thinking of recording solo to: 1. increase the output of content for the channel and, 2. to get used to talking while gaming to minimise silence.

We record on a couch together playing co-op & versus games and it's been a learning experience to do things that engage the viewer but also making the gameplay entertaining too.

Anyway, what are you tips for recording solo?

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Recording solo has always been a tough thing to do when making Gameplay-related videos.
I use to make Let's Play videos on a daily basis and uploaded them onto a separate channel. When I talked into my microphone when recording the game I would act like I had people watching me "LIVE" even though no one was there and I was not recording/uploading the video live to any kind of audience. This helped me organize my the things I would talk about into subjects. Like for example: What did I do today, how are my fans feeling, my crazy dreams, my experience at this drive thru, my day at work, tutorial/further explanation about this part in the game, what does this "insert word here" in the game remind me of....etc...I always had stuff to talk about when I thought about these things.

Overall when you act like someone is there and is watching you immediately you tend to act differently when recording yourself via video/audio. At least more confident and more sure about what you want to say. Not differently as in bad per say. Does that make sense?

I hope it helps bring in ideas of how to record solo a bit better. Have a good day. =]

Reactions: Rolz

Rolz

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yeah I agree with Farley, It really helps to organize your thoughts. Depending on your personality it may take some time to get used to it.

Vice Versas

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer
Thanks guys. I'm definitely going to do some light scripting so I don't run out of things to say. That's been a weak point when I've been filming before.

I guess I'm so used to playing by myself.

@FarleyProductions & @Rolz, that make sense and I see how I can start now. Really appreciate the advice.