[Tip] What title you choose for your video is probably the most important thing

LiveLoopers

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Just something I've noticed over the years that is obvious to a lot of people but still overlooked by some:

What title you choose for your video is probably the most important thing. Maybe the second most thing next to whether the video itself is actually any good, but it is super duper important.

If you want to study something that will REALLY help you over the long run. Just study making good titles for your videos. Visit the pages of YouTubers that you like and look through their list of videos. See which ones have done better than others. If there are huge swings in their numbers with big views on some and fewer views on others see if you can find any pattern based on the video titles.

I find that videos do well when they have a title that either:
* relates in some way to something a lot of people are doing searches for
* indicates that it will be worth their time (clues them in that it will get to the point without wasting their time) (e.g. "5 easy ways to preserve your pipes")
* relates to something that a bajillion other youtubers haven't already done to death and back.
* is funny, charming, intriguing or has some other kind of hook
*indicates uniqueness (e.g. "First ever [this]", "best quality version of [this]", etc.)

If anyone else has any titling advice or related experience please chime in.

GeekyNet

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I see a lot of people that do generic titles that won't rank for highly searched terms, don't grab anyone's attention, etc. It's a shame. A lot of times I want to help people, but unfortunately that would help my competitors (I mostly notice bad titles on competitor's gaming channels) so I end up letting them keep doing it wrong.