[Tip] Setting Goals for Your Channel

SauceOne

The Sauce
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer
Hey!
One of the things that some small YouTubers don't really think about is setting goals for your channel. Setting goals in anything, whether it be everyday life (eg: getting an A in school or going for a run every day) or on YouTube is very important!

If you do not set goals for yourself, chances are, you won't have anything to work towards. You would just be aimlessly making videos for your own good. Now some people do get by without goals, but I can assure you, that's a very rare case.

Here are some of my goals, and the actions that I will take after those goals have been reached:

• 100 Subscribers = Setup Showcase (where I show my video creating equipment)
  • 250 Subscribers = Small Giveaway
  • 300 Subscribers = Bi-Weekly Shoutout Videos
  • 500 Subscribers = Medium-Value Giveaway
  • 1000 Subscribers = Big Ticket Item Giveaway
  • 1000+ Subscribers = Weekly Shoutout Videos
As you can see, I have set my Subscriber goals to work kind of like a ranking. With each 'level' of subscribers, I will 'unlock' something else to them! I have realized that unlocking content itself is not always the best idea (for example, do not unlock facecams at a certain amount of subscribers, just do it in the beginning, unless you really want an aura of mystery about what you look like), but unlocking things like shoutouts is always a bonus. What I recommend, though, is keeping your goals private. You don't want people to ONLY subscribe for your giveaways (if you do those) or shoutouts.

This can work with views, too! My goals are just more specific to subscribers because (for example) I'll have enough subscribers at 1000+ to DO a Weekly Shoutout. At 300 Subscribers, a Bi-Weekly Subscriber Shoutout is going to slow down the number of shoutouts I do to match the number of subscribers I have.
The reason I have it like this is to:

1. Create a sense of connection with subscribers
  2. Get a sense of accomplishment when I reach my goals
  3. To push myself to make more/higher quality content!
There is one problem with setting goals, and that is cheating. Cheating to reach your goals is defeating the entire purpose of it. Do things legitimately and you will feel much, much better! :)

Last edited:

theTinkyWinky

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I totally agree with you! People don't realize how important goal setting can be, and how effective it is!

Reactions: Webchat Boys

SauceOne

The Sauce
Reaction score
Channel Type
I totally agree with you! People don't realize how important goal setting can be, and how effective it is!
Thank you! It is quite important to be able to work towards something, whether it be on YouTube or in real life circumstances.

approvideos

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have goals right on my about section on my channel and what I will be doing when I reach those as well! It seems like a great way to remind me of what my goals are and what I want to do when I reach them!

SauceOne

The Sauce
Reaction score
Channel Type
I have goals right on my about section on my channel and what I will be doing when I reach those as well! It seems like a great way to remind me of what my goals are and what I want to do when I reach them!
That is exactly what I do! I'm glad that you have goals in your About Section! Now we can only hope you reach those goals! :)

approvideos

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I hope I do too. But it is just a hopeful goal. I make videos and do my videos for fun :p

LeeToTheVI

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
@Joel Is InstantGS You're absolutely man, goal setting is so important, i'm only just starting to understand that with youtube... it's that and consistency, thank you for this post, you've inspired me to go off and write a list of my own goals... I feel it's time to start taking this opportunity a lot more seriously :)

RageFocus

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I like the idea of this, I'm doing something similar I guess.. I'm not showing my face on my channel (someon else on my channel did not me) untill I get 100 subs, so people will only be like "Oh damn, wtf" after like 100 subs if I ever get to it, main thing I'm doing is never giving up :).

SauceOne

The Sauce
Reaction score
Channel Type
@Joel Is InstantGS You're absolutely man, goal setting is so important, i'm only just starting to understand that with youtube... it's that and consistency, thank you for this post, you've inspired me to go off and write a list of my own goals... I feel it's time to start taking this opportunity a lot more seriously :)
Glad you feel inspired! :) I hope it all goes well for you!

I like the idea of this, I'm doing something similar I guess.. I'm not showing my face on my channel (someon else on my channel did not me) untill I get 100 subs, so people will only be like "Oh damn, wtf" after like 100 subs if I ever get to it, main thing I'm doing is never giving up :).
That's the key- to never give up! :)