Time lapsed footage?

Shoot or edit time lapses?

• Total voters

Stanley Yoang

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So if/when y'all shoot time lapses do you use the time lapse setting on your camera/phone? Or do you add the time lapse in editing?
Just curious because it seems like shooting in time lapse mode makes a better time lapse, but adding the time lapse in editing allows for smoother transitions if you plan on picking up the camera right after shooting the time lapse, plus it allows background noise if you want that.

Sladee

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I usally shoot them, when I shoot video for personal projects I only shoot a time lapse over edit if I know for sure its going to be a time lapse. The way I shoot footage is as if I have a mental picture of where everything is and how it will flow, so I try to shoot to fill that flow, if that makes sense. But sometimes, you have leftover footage and you can time lapse it. But 98% of the time, I know that I want a time lapse so I just shoot it.

Reactions: Stanley Yoang

Stanley Yoang

Reaction score
I usally shoot them, when I shoot video for personal projects I only shoot a time lapse over edit if I know for sure its going to be a time lapse. The way I shoot footage is as if I have a mental picture of where everything is and how it will flow, so I try to shoot to fill that flow, if that makes sense. But sometimes, you have leftover footage and you can time lapse it. But 98% of the time, I know that I want a time lapse so I just shoot it.
Because I know with Casey's vlogs he tends to film something normally then it'll transition into a time lapse or it'll be a time lapse then he'll pick up the camera and it's back to a normal video mode. Is that adding the time lapse in editing?

Sladee

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Because I know with Casey's vlogs he tends to film something normally then it'll transition into a time lapse or it'll be a time lapse then he'll pick up the camera and it's back to a normal video mode. Is that adding the time lapse in editing?
He uses a regular camera and not a iphone, so I assume he edits his time lapses. Either way, You could have a similar effect where you record your time lapse and then start recording a regular video when you end your time lapse that way it looks as if you have transitioned from time lapse to real time.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the recording / editing / production / hardware forum. :)

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I prefer shooting my video for however long it might be, 10 minutes to 2 hours even and then edit the Time Lapse in post production.
Normally I just completely cut the audio from Time-Lapses anyways since no one would want to hear all the muffled noise. Throw on some music and call it good. =]

DanAwesomeStuff

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I always do timelapses in the edit. Although they're getting rarer and rarer these days. I do love a timelapse though.

AlexGotBeats

Blessed & Cursed
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I'm not that kind of channel but ironically i shoot a video for timelapse just for fun like a few days ago. Left camera to record for 4 hours lol and then edited in Premiere Pro came out nice tbh. Pretty much made a 4 hour footage into 15 seconds.

ThisisJericho

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The iPhone time lapse rocks!!! I just got into doing time lapse and having it done quick and easy so you can share it fast. Highly recommend the settings. I would also use another camera to get another angle of the time lapse then you can edit those later

JoycelynsLife

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
For phone: I'm using iPhone 6 Plus, so if I'm shooting the sky or anything I know speeding is a must, I will use the time lapse function. If its short time lapse transition or I will appear soon, normal.

For camera: I'm using canon 70D and there's no time lapse option like 80D, so...