Thumbnail Help

ItsBecky

Internet Idiot who loves making people laugh
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
There is a type of thumbnail that a lot of big youtubers do (mainly girls to be honest) where they make thumbnails that are absolutely insanely colourful, but at the same time look really nice, and obviously really stand out when you see them

I will show one as an example
ddd.JPG
This isn't even the best example just the best one I can find right now, I have recently started using photoshop more and more for my thumbnails and I know they use saturation, but whenever I try and use it it always just flops and looks awful

It's the kind of theme I would love to use for my channel, can anyone give me some tips on how I can make this kind of thing?

I also try and do this with the text on my thumbnail but again it just doesn't work so any help would be appreciated thanks! :)

Pluto

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi!
So these thumbnails use a variety of things to add to that 'bright' look. First off, all the images on that thumbnail come from the same colour palette. If you look, you'll see they're all a similar shade of pink, which helps emphasise a consistent theme. Second, yup! they probably have enhanced the saturation a little bit!. lastly, they've jam packed the frame FULL of stuff to create a fun, hectic kind of vibe.

To make a similar thumbnail, i would suggest first looking for a similar colour palette. (You can find one by googling Pastel Pink Colour Palette). If you can find images which all are of the same tone/shade, you'll create a consistent theme right off the bat. As for your use of saturation, you might just be putting to much on!

FRANKIEandEMILY

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
There is a type of thumbnail that a lot of big youtubers do (mainly girls to be honest) where they make thumbnails that are absolutely insanely colourful, but at the same time look really nice, and obviously really stand out when you see them

View attachment 39129
This isn't even the best example just the best one I can find right now, I have recently started using photoshop more and more for my thumbnails and I know they use saturation, but whenever I try and use it it always just flops and looks awful

It's the kind of theme I would love to use for my channel, can anyone give me some tips on how I can make this kind of thing?

I also try and do this with the text on my thumbnail but again it just doesn't work so any help would be appreciated thanks! :)

It looks like they used Photoshop, in addition to what Pluto said above. Are you familiar with PS?

Basically, they add a base lay/background image, then add on "layers" (more images/designs/etc) to create that layout. Along the way you can adjust the coloring/effects and so on. If you're not sure about photoshop, I found a really useful photoshop tutorial for beginners.

PS. I love the description under your avatar! We love making people laugh too!!! :D

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
They simply created a collage with Photoshop by adding a bunch of .PNG (transparent) images onto a white canvas.

Reactions: Dixon1380

ChrisLegend

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If saturation is causing a bit of trouble, try using a bit of that combined with a contrast curve. That should give the colours a bit more oomph!

Reactions: Dixon1380

NewbieYouTee

Reaction score
Personal opinion is that a lot of thumbnails are way too bright and cluttered. I think if you kept it more basic and more high end looking you might stand out more.

Turk-Lvlone

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I agree, this looks like a collage of several images put together. There's a lot of different ways in Photoshop to do anything, try researching some basic color editing and saturation tutorials, I'm sure there's something out there that shows you the best way to get the saturation look.

BigBryanGames

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber

View attachment 39129

I exclusively use Photoshop now to do my thumbnails, as well as when I need to work on a new banner. After signing up for PS, I took some time to watch some videos and read up a little on how to use it. There's some stuff I never would have figured out by simply just testing things out myself, such the CTRL A, C, V for transparent images and blending options, and also how to cut/erase images around parts you find you'd like to use.

ItsBecky

Internet Idiot who loves making people laugh
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
thankyou very much for everyones advice :)