Thumbnail clip at the Beginning or late in the Video?

Abdullahx9000

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hello there I am Abdullahx9000, and I enjoy making gaming videos on YouTube.

I have a quick question. I see a lot of famous/big YouTubers put some attracting thumbnails from a clip in the video, they tend to put that Clip somewhere at the end or in the middle, they kinda hide it to force people to watch it all and they gain a high percentage of Audience Retention. I tend to put the thumbnail Clip at the very beginning. Should I do the same and hide the clip inside the video?
All replies are greatly appreciated.

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It really depends, I don't use stills from the video to make the thumbnails, but I try to show a quick "teaser shot" at the beginning to entice viewers to stick around for more. I have heard the advice that you should put the basic concept of the video towards the beginning, otherwise viewers will become skeptical that they are being clickbaited. Once you've established more of an audience, they can learn to trust you for longer view times.

Abdullahx9000

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It really depends, I don't use stills from the video to make the thumbnails, but I try to show a quick "teaser shot" at the beginning to entice viewers to stick around for more. I have heard the advice that you should put the basic concept of the video towards the beginning, otherwise viewers will become skeptical that they are being clickbaited. Once you've established more of an audience, they can learn to trust you for longer view times.
Thank you very much for replying! I think I might do a little teaser of the clip and then put the whole clip somewhere in the video. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: babyteeth4

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the strategy / technique forum. :)

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Most of my videos have short, funny clips (of later moments in the video) at the beginning to grab attention before starting the actual content. Seems to be working well. My retention is good, despite my videos being over 20 minutes long.

Abdullahx9000

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Most of my videos have short, funny clips (of later moments in the video) at the beginning to grab attention before starting the actual content. Seems to be working well. My retention is good, despite my videos being over 20 minutes long.
I am doing the same if funny clip at the beginning. =]