Thumbnail Advice. Which thumbnail would you click?

Which Thumbnail would you click?

• Thumbnail 1

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Thumbnail 2

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

Isaac Blencowe

Reaction score
Hey guys so I have just released a video onto my channel which will be used as the trailer on my channel. However I am having a really hard time deciding on the thumbnail to go with. So I thought I would ask the community here which thumbnail they prefer.

The first one is currently being used. The other is a little bit click baity but it seems like that is the way Youtube thumbnails are going. Would love your thoughts! If you want to view the video you can simply click my channel link and it will start playing :)

Also the name of the video is currently. "Three words, one life" Would love people thoughts on the name and open to any better suggestions :)

Thumbnail 1:
Thumbnail 12.jpg
Thumbnail 2:
THUMBNAIL 11.png

Thanks so much guys!

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
so many stills from video itself that I like, various hands in the beggining, also frames @ time0.28 or 0.35 or 1.18 but my taste is subjective. :)

:)

Sam Gillmer

Reaction score
I'd go number 2. I worked on thumbnail strategy at IMDb, and generally speaking people respond to human emotions/eye contact the most. This certainly isn't a hard and fast rule, and needs to be taken on a case-by-case basis, but there's some good evidence out there from YouTube/Google themselves on this. I'm basing this purely on the picture and not the text, which I don't know as much about.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I would say the first one since it will be used as your trailer!

newage

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Neither. They look really nice full size like this, but when they get smaller and are lumped in with hundreds of other thumbnails these will not stick out. Nothing is really bright or eye catching. Very dark and the colors all blend together.

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
hmm thats a hard one to get right. The first one looks more vibrant. I scaled them down to view in thumbnail size. The seconds one looks a little dull.. I feel like the 2nd one is gonna rob me of 3 minutes or more of my life that I can never get back again. Also Both kind conflict with your title.. kinda. Maybe wording that teases the meaning out of the title.. perhaps just 3 question marks ? ? ? or 1 2 3. with same background. Also if Learn Grow Inspire are in the fact the 3 words in question then you f'up perhaps as there is no need to watch to end or at all now that you have given away the punchline.

Or if prefer clickbaity thumb use 0:24 with something relevant text overlay. A girl or a cat will always get more clicks.. that is the rules of the internet lol

Just my thought anyway.

Soul Hyorinmaru

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It really depends on what you got going on with your videos and content, i would make the words/letters more appealing in terms of being bigger and sticking out there, you going for the professional look but it also could go the route where it can be fun, some times you dont want plain thumbnails, you want thumbnails to stick out like a sore eye, in a good way

Divine Authority

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hmmm tough to decide since the two of it look really nice and eye catching. Personally I would have to go with number 2. The amount of editing done into picture number 2 is pretty great with the inclusion of blur in the background. The number 1 I would say can be used as your youtube channel art instead.