Three point lighting

echoraven

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
What if the only possibility is to film in your room and there is not enough space to do three point lighting. I've been experimenting but it still looks a little weird sometimes and I just have no clue what to do..
If your room has windows use the light from it as it is the most desirable light source, everything else is literally an imitation!

Animazing

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger
If your room has windows use the light from it as it is the most desirable light source, everything else is literally an imitation!
No, I don't have natural lighting at all. My room is in the basement and doesn't get much light.

Ninja

Professional Funny Guy
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator
One thing I see in a lot of vlogging or selfie videos is no attention paid to lighting. Lighting is one of the easiest ways one can make vast improvements to the look of their videos. And in videos with a single subject (yourself) lighting can be especially easy to do. It really can be as simple as borrowing two lamps from another room and learning how to position them.

I would advise anyone interested in learning how to just type in a search for three point lighting in wikipedia or do a YouTube search for it. There are plenty of tutorials out there.

Learning how to properly place a back light somewhere to help separate you from the background can make for a huge improvement.
YES! I always 3-point light whenever I'm vlogging or filming.

echoraven

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
No, I don't have natural lighting at all. My room is in the basement and doesn't get much light.
Try a softbox ebay should have them for around $30 and you can play around and quite possibly do something artistic with the lighting.
When I filmed myself (that vid should HOPEFULLY be up by next week) I had 2 lights on my green screen and one on me though I did get ambient spillover from the other 2. Initial preview looked good though I did learn I really have no place in front of a camera... ;)

Animazing

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger
Try a softbox ebay should have them for around $30 and you can play around and quite possibly do something artistic with the lighting.
When I filmed myself (that vid should HOPEFULLY be up by next week) I had 2 lights on my green screen and one on me though I did get ambient spillover from the other 2. Initial preview looked good though I did learn I really have no place in front of a camera... ;)
The soft light is a good idea. My light is pretty hard, so that might give it a smoother look :D Thank you :)