Thoughts on the use of ad-words to promote a video?

XenithDragon

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So I have used ad-words a few times, I haven't spent anything ridiculous, maybe a few bucks here and there, and I do feel it has helped a whole lot to get some of my content out there. What is the most effective way to use ad-words, and what are some thoughts on its use as an advertising medium?

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
Tell us more about the results of your campaign. I see you got one video with 10k views. Is that the one you did it on?

The BBQ Chef

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I was about to try this today and then the video went to "not suitable for all advertisers" so i decided to wait until its reviewed.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Adwords is one strategy to get targeted viewers and hopefully subscribers. Like all marketing campaigns, you need to take a long term view. I believe adwords has certainly helped this channel grow. But it needs to run in addition to on-trend very high quality content that viewers are hungry for. That way you get low sub acquisition costs and high earned views.

As for strategies, there are many you can utilize. You can promote the latest video, a playlist, a group of tags, pretty much anything. You can target time frames and geographic areas and interest groups. Depends what you are after! Some channels grow extremely quickly with no adwords by argetting on trend keywords. Others spend a fair amount of $ and after the initial adwords traffic boost, don't have lasting results. Some are able to accelerate their channel growth with the help of adwords. There are as many opinions as there are channels, which is the way with everything in life.

$ wise, as a rough ballpark, these days you should be budgeting $2000-$5000/month for an adwords campaign to have any sort of meaningful channel growth. 2 years ago when we started, $1000-$2000 or so /month was enough. But with platform saturation, it is much harder to breakout. Hence a higher marketing budget.

But as mentioned above, a critical component to success is very high quality, on trend videos, otherwise even the $5000 will likely be wasted and have no long term benefits.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
We just tried it yesterday, just a day for $10 budget. It does boost the videos traffic or channel but once you stopped like what we did it wnet back to normal. I think it is not worth to use if you are still a small channel and you might just waste money.[DOUBLEPOST=1510704611,1510704487][/DOUBLEPOST]Plus i think it will hurt more your channel because you suddenly dropped your views and YT algo might get confused and asked what happened and then will mark your channel as garbage.

XenithDragon

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Tell us more about the results of your campaign. I see you got one video with 10k views. Is that the one you did it on?
Yes that is the one, I think I spent like 3 dollars on that video, and it really helped me kick start my channel, and the video itself.