Thoughts on Patreon

Tisha

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So because of the so called "YouTube is over " thing that's going on, a lot of creators are looking for donations in supporting Thier channel. I heard some great things about Patreon but I'm not 100% sure if I should get on for my channel. Does anyone have any thoughts about this site?

Sjors

The Juggling Youtuber!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
In my opinion, Patreon really only works if you have a big and stable community of preferably adults, who would be willing to donate a set amount per video or per month in order to help you.

As a small YouTuber I think you could better start gaining more views in order to qualify for the new requirement of YouTube's Monetization.

Reactions: markkaz

oscarflowers

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
it's great if you have an audience of at least several thousand people, but i wouldn't recommend it as a means of sustaining yourself - such a minority of viewers are going to want to pledge money for what is currently free content, so it's got to be something big and exciting (such as two, three? times the amount of content currently, private q+as, etc) to actually get pledges of money.

as a site, it's a wonderful way of people showing support if they wish, though. if you do make it to large scale youtube, sponsored videos would be the real way to go, though.

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
In order for a viewer to justify contributing to you via Patreon, they are going to be looking for value. I doubt that your upload schedule, one video a month, is not going to be enough to entice pledges. Of course, you could have levels, such as $50, for someone to pay you to do a specific video.

Reactions: Loki Doki

Tisha

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
There has been rumors where a lot of advertisers that's is not supporting YouTube anymore ( which means they are not getting paid as mich as they use to in the past). So a lot of creators are switching over to patreon. I'm starting to wonder if most creator are even making content for their own personal passion or just for views/ money.

Loki Doki

Gaming Nerd and SEO Guru
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Patreon can be really useful, i have had one for about 6 months and currently get $800 a month from it from my small channel

one thing i would suggest is to build up a larger loyal following before starting patreon, at least a couple of thousand subs before starting patreon, then make a patreon video and explain what it is and what you plan to do with it, if you do this when your very small the video won't reach many people. and its not something you really want to mention much in your normal videos often, you don't want to sound pushy. i never mention my patreon, i just have a link in the description of the videos and also say thank you to each new patron[DOUBLEPOST=1495205467,1495205377][/DOUBLEPOST]
In order for a viewer to justify contributing to you via Patreon, they are going to be looking for value. I doubt that your upload schedule, one video a month, is not going to be enough to entice pledges. Of course, you could have levels, such as $50, for someone to pay you to do a specific video.
i also agree with this. you need to be uploading much more regularly for people to think it is worth supporting you

Reactions: Tisha

Uncivilized Elk

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Patreon can be really useful, i have had one for about 6 months and currently get $800 a month from it from my small channel
Woah. You probs have one of the highest patreon earnings to sub count ratios I've seen. Kudos on that.

Reactions: Loki Doki

Loki Doki

Gaming Nerd and SEO Guru
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Woah. You probs have one of the highest patreon earnings to sub count ratios I've seen. Kudos on that.
yeah the support has been pretty crazy, ezpecially as i don't offer anything really exclusive or early content etc lol