Thoughts on Onision Quitting

Zachary Thomas

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Vlogger, Gamer
So I'm not sure who you guys keep up with channel wise but most all of YouTube has heard of Greg (Onision/Onion Boy) Yesterday, possibly the day before not sure, he posted that He was quitting his channel UhOhBro completely and pursuing other opportunities to make income because of the Ad Feud going on. I just wanted to kind of get others opinions on the topic.

My opinion is YouTube is hurting itself with the new/not so new restricting system. I have a few videos that are restricted but I kinda figured they would be because of language. I also think if the income for some more sustainable YouTube creators continues to decrease, I have a feeling that alot of them are gonna jump ship.

Sladee

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I do think that its going to get better. Youtube has been this form of entertainment that has been unchecked for awhile. There are regulations and fines for those who don't comply with rules on television, or the radio. YouTube actually gets more traffic then Google (the search engine) so its this expansive medium where people have been saying whatever then want really, and the only lash back being the loss of fame or a ridiculous amount of dislikes.

Do I think YouTube should be restricted to only "family friendly" content creators? No. The internet is a haven that has a place for everyone, and we cant shun out the more brash Content Creators. They'll just find somewhere else to post their content. But I do think Google/YouTube shouldn't allow many content creators to be rude and incentive without consequences. Currently, the strike system applies to extremely rude behavior, or copyright. I think they should tweak with that warning system and find ways to identify YouTubers trying to make profit by means of harassment, or intolerant behavior.

Anyway, we are pretty far from a perfect YouTube system, but as long as there is progress, i'm willing to ride it out.

Reactions: Zachary Thomas

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I won´t believe him quitting will last long, as he loves the drama and wants to earn as much youtube money as possible, and while he claims that he doesn´t understand why he is targeted by the new system, at the same time he body shames people, starts a lot of drama and so forth.

Sladee

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I won´t believe him quitting will last long, as he loves the drama and wants to earn as much youtube money as possible, and while he claims that he doesn´t understand why he is targeted by the new system, at the same time he body shames people, starts a lot of drama and so forth.
Exactly, its those kind of YouTubers that need to be stopped honestly. YouTube has become like a bad drama reality TV show. Content Creators used to be so innocent and genuinely cared for their audience. But some of the most popular channels are the ones making jokes at other peoples expense. :(

Reactions: chottom

XXLRay

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I actually couldn't care less. There are plenty of ways for you to earn money from YouTube videos without monetization.

Shendijiro

(┛ಠ_ಠ)┛彡┻━┻
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer, Designer, Animator, Other
I really don't care much since I do this for a hobby and if he is quitting welp let him quit and do what he wants to do :)

TimberwolfMKIII

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If he does something he prefers and that will make him happy then I say the more power to him. There is a lot of swirl with the new ad system YouTube has, but as indicated above it is just semantics. If you are creating content that is not super offensive or downright insulting, you will be fine. Personally with my gaming channel I am just going to have fun with it. My main goal is to try to bring smiles, laughter, and maybe some "WHY ARE YOU GOING THAT WAY" or "YOU MISSED THE SECRET AREA" reactions to my subscribers to try and brighten their days.

JakeJH

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
So I've watched a lot of his videos, and (here's a very unpopular opinion) find them fairly entertaining. But I've also noticed that Onision LOVES drama and LOVES views, so I doubt him quitting will last very long. He'll probably come wandering back pretty quickly, based on his past.

My opinion on the entirety of the situation, though, is that YouTube's new restriction system is making so many good people leave YouTube. There are many YouTubers who I love watching who are getting restricted a lot now, and starting to leave youtube, for what seems like no reason. YouTube is trying to make itself a good place, but they're honestly going down the dump. Many videos that aren't all that harmful are being restricted and good channels are getting strikes, sometimes even being taken down, which seems silly to me, since it's taking a lot of the entertainment off of youtube and causing a lot of amazing people to leave. But that's just my opinion, maybe there are positive sides to this!

chottom

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Exactly! I checked and he just uploaded new movie (alien implants or something).
"quitting" YouTube is a typical scammy channels click-bait technique.

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I don't personally care for his style of content (I'm not someone who likes too much on the edgier side of the spectrum, plus I'm quite a bit older than his crowd), but if he's not making a good living from it, then it's smart to find other opportunities.

I think YouTube will probably shake itself out at some point. I don't think it's going to be as easy to carve out a living on the platform, but that may clear out a lot of the scammer stuff that's on there by people who have been taking advantage of the platform's weaknesses and getting money for absolute garbage they post.