Thoughts on my channel?

JDubTheGamer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'd like to get some opinions about my channel overall. I just updated the banner and it was going to be more spaced out, but I didn't realize that with the max resolution being 2560x1440, the crop would be disgustingly small on computers and phones, so I just made a decision on the fly to not make it as spread out. The logo in the foreground is entirely pixel art done by myself. I commissioned someone from Fiverr to make the avatar. I wasn't too impressed with it, mainly because of the eyes and the neck curve, but it works, and for $5 overnight a good job was done on it.

I've been deliberating on how I'd like to do thumbnails, I realize they're not great. If anyone has any advice on that or on the channel at all it'd be much appreciated. They're for funny videos about strange games that I joke around about. Thanks!

Johnjackallen

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hey there! Had a look around the channel, and your videos too! :)

First up, your channel banner, I honestly couldn't work out what the text in the banner said. It's a cool idea what you're going for with the pixel text, but I think maybe you should go for more bubble writing with a pixel edge. I think the main problem with it is it's just too thin. Other than that your banner might need a couple words describing what your channel is. At a glance I thought that it was a let's play channel, which it clearly isn't! So you need to let the viewer know that in the banner!

Onto the thumbnails! I'm not great at thumbnails myself, so I might not be much help here. I don't think you need the full logo in the thumbnails, maybe have a nice bright colour in the corner with part of the logo on it? The seamonkeys video is the best example of your thumbnail, just having the title of the game and the character from the game is a good base! Maybe some sort of border or a colour other than grey for the background? Just play with them, try new things, make loads and see what grabs you the most!

And now the videos bit! The ideas and concept behind the videos are great, there's some good insight and good jokes in there. The problem is it's not very engaging, a lot of the time it takes too long to get to the points your trying to make, but this is an easy fix! Just cut out some of the fluff or dead space in editing, this will keep the video flowing. This type of video needs an almost constant stream of information or humour! The main problem I see with the videos is that you seem quite bored, the best videos are the ones where the person making them is excited to be there! I'm not saying that you aren't excited to be making the video, but you certainly don't sound like you are. And the most important thing about this game is appearances!

So overall, I like the concept, just work on enthusiasm and keeping the videos flowing!

Hope these tips help!

JDubTheGamer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey there! Had a look around the channel, and your videos too! :)

First up, your channel banner, I honestly couldn't work out what the text in the banner said. It's a cool idea what you're going for with the pixel text, but I think maybe you should go for more bubble writing with a pixel edge. I think the main problem with it is it's just too thin. Other than that your banner might need a couple words describing what your channel is. At a glance I thought that it was a let's play channel, which it clearly isn't! So you need to let the viewer know that in the banner!

Onto the thumbnails! I'm not great at thumbnails myself, so I might not be much help here. I don't think you need the full logo in the thumbnails, maybe have a nice bright colour in the corner with part of the logo on it? The seamonkeys video is the best example of your thumbnail, just having the title of the game and the character from the game is a good base! Maybe some sort of border or a colour other than grey for the background? Just play with them, try new things, make loads and see what grabs you the most!

And now the videos bit! The ideas and concept behind the videos are great, there's some good insight and good jokes in there. The problem is it's not very engaging, a lot of the time it takes too long to get to the points your trying to make, but this is an easy fix! Just cut out some of the fluff or dead space in editing, this will keep the video flowing. This type of video needs an almost constant stream of information or humour! The main problem I see with the videos is that you seem quite bored, the best videos are the ones where the person making them is excited to be there! I'm not saying that you aren't excited to be making the video, but you certainly don't sound like you are. And the most important thing about this game is appearances!

So overall, I like the concept, just work on enthusiasm and keeping the videos flowing!

Hope these tips help!
I certainly appreciate you checking it out and giving me your feedback! I didn't imagine the banner being difficult to read. I'll experiment with what I want with the banner and thumbnails. Yeah I'm still working on my voice, I'm a naturally boring sounding person, unfortunately. I'm also still getting used to editing and hearing the sound of my own voice.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, it certainly helps!

LostTrigger

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
took me a few minutes trying to read your banner until i read your username and it started to click, but even then i still struggle a bit trying to understand it. the avatar looks fine, i would probably make the neck go off the circle instead of stopping.

thats how i see your thumbnails, everythings to small for me to read, its not popular enough for me to guess whats its about. things need to be bigger, more clearer and pronounced. thumbnail should tell me what im about to click on.

Reactions: Johnjackallen

JDubTheGamer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm ultimately confused about what to do for my banner. I've got a lot of positive responses to it, but here I find that you guys can't even read it.

Johnjackallen

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I'm ultimately confused about what to do for my banner. I've got a lot of positive responses to it, but here I find that you guys can't even read it.
At the end of the day, it's your channel so it's up to you. All I can tell you is that honestly, if your channel name wasn't right underneath it, I wouldn't be able to read it at all.

Ricky Alv

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You need to put some type of value proposition in you channel banner. A value proposition is basically what you are offering a first time viewer when they head to your channel. It would also help to have your posting schedule. I think your channel logo is too big and needs to be narrowed down more as well. Focus on what is it that you are providing to your viewer and who you are targeting and that will give you more direction of where you want to go.