Thoughts on Celebrity YouTubers & YouTube RED

MentallyGames

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Other
You can make this argument for the entirety of Youtube (and life in general) though. Harold the banker probably has more resources than Bob the janitor.

Reactions: iGM

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yet this celebrity may have access to more resources that could permit the creation of 'better' or perhaps higher quality content than that of a smaller youtuber, causing a shift in what the viewers go to? How would that be fair?
You say it doesnt matter but, it kinda does to an extent.
If they take their resources and apply them to YouTube, that is their prerogative. Your goal is to be competitive with what you can do. Trust me, just because somebody throws money at a bunch of content doesn't mean it's going to be successful.

BrettMikaluk

Uniquely Awesome Since 1997
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
This may have been said, but I didn't want to read all the posts haha. I would say for certainty that this is YouTube trying to compete with Netflix and other online video brands. I also think that celebrities will actually be a benefit of YouTube RED, giving it more credibility early, and hopefully allowing us "normies" an opportunity in the future to have our own shows that YouTube pays for!

iGM

That Scottish Guy
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If they take their resources and apply them to YouTube, that is their prerogative. Your goal is to be competitive with what you can do. Trust me, just because somebody throws money at a bunch of content doesn't mean it's going to be successful.
It is about exposure.
Money can buy you a lot of exposure that simply isnt available to smaller youtube creators. It doesnt make the content good but that is purely subjective on tastes. They do have a lot more resources that could potentially kill off any small youtubers, eveb just via the exposure problem. The smaller youtuber may not even get a chance to be seen due to the algorithm favoring the most popular videos.

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You say it is all fair game but, is it really?
What about those who have worked their whole YouTube career to get to where they are only to - for the sake of argument - lose audience to a celebrity that does the same thing and sets up a channel over night?
I am not saying they don't have a right to or anything just not too sure on the fair aspect.
It is the way the world works. Some have an edge and will make it easy, others (like myself) will never make it big on YouTube. Getting p****d off about it won't change that fact. Work your behind off, and you might get there, but accept the fact it is highly unlikely. YouTube doesn't owe you anything. And if you are a big time YouTuber you won't loose any views to a celeb doing the same thing. There is a reason why people follow YouTubers. Because they are genuine normal people making videos rather than fake celebrities acting in front of a camera.

iGM

That Scottish Guy
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It is the way the world works. Some have an edge and will make it easy, others (like myself) will never make it big on YouTube. Getting p****d off about it won't change that fact. Work your behind off, and you might get there, but accept the fact it is highly unlikely. YouTube doesn't owe you anything. And if you are a big time YouTuber you won't loose any views to a celeb doing the same thing. There is a reason why people follow YouTubers. Because they are genuine normal people making videos rather than fake celebrities acting in front of a camera.
I am far from p****d off, simply discussing a part of YouTube that may p**s some folk off.
That is the fun part about a discussion. Hearing people's opinions to learn, grow and expand a viewpoint on a subject. Exposure to different views helps one to develop an educated opinion on something. That is all! :)
Different people would define 'making it' on YouTube in different ways. By my own standards and my own interpretation I have already made it. I set out to create content for people they would enjoy and I accomplished that on my first gaming channel.
I now set out to accomplish the same with my productions channel.

But that is besides the point. Different people are attracted to the platform (both viewer and creator) for different reasons. I have just personally seen a YouTuber I follow fall victim to this very problem, hence, the discussion topic.[DOUBLEPOST=1518390276,1518390109][/DOUBLEPOST]
You can make this argument for the entirety of Youtube (and life in general) though. Harold the banker probably has more resources than Bob the janitor.
Bob the janitor needs to sweep his a** off! Get them dolla dollas'
But nah I am simply playing devils advocate for the most part to entice opinions from people in an effort to better understand and grow my own stance on the problem/issue/aspect of YouTube. Part of how I like to go about understand the problems/issues/aspects of things to then further expand my knowledge on something.
If that makes more sense?[DOUBLEPOST=1518390332][/DOUBLEPOST]
YouTube is mainly a platform for subculture.
What do you mean by the term sub-culture? Do you mean niches that aren't covered on a larger scale and larger scale media? Or do you mean something completely different?

genp

Reaction score
What do you mean by the term sub-culture? Do you mean niches that aren't covered on a larger scale and larger scale media? Or do you mean something completely different?
2 to 5-minute no-budget (or extremely low-budget) content which will never be covered by main stream media. YouTube is all about 'ideas'. If you have ideas, just make videos real quick. No production necessary, it takes time. And boom! you make it on YouTube.