This is something i did not consider when starting!

KingUsher

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
This is actually working out well for me i might just hit 500 subscribers in the following weeks.I did not know that starting with small topics building just a small fan base from a small community can help your channel explode!Example creating a series using a playlist,then after that you go for strong videos people would consider to be common.So my tip basically is start with the small topics that big youtubers missed out.Check their channels for the very first videos they made and try to see what they missed out then make a video on what they missed out that would interest a few of their fans.This technique has actually worked for me and make sure the youtuber you`re checking out has similar videos as what you`re aiming for.After all this is done try following the fans of those youtubers on twitter they might follow you back and they might actually check your channel out thus new fans are created.(The very first successful videos made by big youtubers are the key to success)

Reactions: J0eyy

iamvroom

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It is called a long tail approach and if used correctly may be a great way to get your channel going. Then, as you grow, you switch to more and more mainstream topics to get as many viewers as possible. Or you stay niche - both approaches work if applied correctly. Great to see your channel is growing :)

Reactions: xingcat

Yoursharkfriend

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer
I wish I could do this more but my channel is pretty specific I have no one to go to so i'm like feeling my way through the dark. But nice advice and congrats that's pretty awesome.

Reaction score
This is great insight! I'll have to do some more research in my niche where it's mostly workouts and people doing crazy things. Thanks for the tip!

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
That's a very interesting approach. Thanks for sharing!

J0eyy

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Great Point!

Reaction score
It seems like most advice is to crush a niche and then expand without selling out said niche.
I think the "without selling out" is the hard part and to do it well. For instance, sponsored videos. To do well I think is important to all parties.

Turk-Lvlone

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I learned about this idea too, if you can become an expert on a particular topic then you build up an audience, but you most likely won't if you just put out videos that everyone else is doing.