This is how you waste 4 hours of work...

AuthorFilms Studios

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I was making a massive motion graphics video that would be a few minuites long, I was about half way though editing (about 4 hours of work) and my After Effects stopped working and crashed. The worst thing is, I forgot to save it. Now I'll have to redo all that work. AE should make a backup feature so that if it crashes you can restore the lost project...

Im quite annoyed now :(

Dont you just hate it when that happens to you?

Jawad Soomro

I'm a Human!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
Yes I really hate it! I don't use AE but rather I use Audacity to record my voice and sometimes it crashes, so all of my recording goes into trash and need to rerecord again. So I always make sure that I save the project after every 1 minute.
AE and all the relative software should really work on creating a backup option for the files.

DogsAreAwesome

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey dude I think AE does a backup file every ''X'' time.. Let me look it up
(Premiere does a backup in a folder called ''Adobe Premiere Pro Auto-Save'', so AE should too)

EDIT: Alright, it says that next to the saved project there should be a folder named like this ''YOURFILENAME_AME'' and inside of there, there'll be the backup files

Last edited:

ItsJustJames

Releasing my inner child since 2016
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Just in case you'd find it helpful, all Adobe programs have an auto-save option. It's in preferences I believe. Mine's set to every 2 minutes! A real life line if you're like me and forget to regularly hit that save button.

James.

Ninja

Professional Funny Guy
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator
Vegas Pro 13 has a back-up save that works in the case of the software crashing, but obviously it is a lot more limited in features compared to After Effects. More risk more reward I guess.

Brodie

YTTalk Shape Shifter
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director, Comedian, Designer
I learned my lesson the hard way, always save every 10 minutes! Do a quick ctrl+S and that's the save :) You can set it to autosave every 10 minutes which is helpful if you still forget.

The pain of something like that happening is awful, I've worked on special effects for hours to have after effects crash and it drove me crazy.

AuthorFilms Studios

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Just in case you'd find it helpful, all Adobe programs have an auto-save option. It's in preferences I believe. Mine's set to every 2 minutes! A real life line if you're like me and forget to regularly hit that save button.

James.
I was editing in an Untitled Project though, so it doesnt auto save :( :furious:

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I know that feel so much, i feel really bad just hearing about it! Hopefully when you put in the time again it wont take as long as your repeating your work :) and AE crashes on me a lot, not as much as flash, but its got me in the habit of saving every 5 mins lol