Thinking of upgrading to Mac Book pro

Taz The Yorkie

Reaction score
So currently I do everything on my iPhone Now I’m thinking of that investing in a bottom end Mac Book pro. Moving from editing in iMovie to Final Cut so I can learn a little chroma key effects.

I’m a little nervous I’m going from spending nothing to, well Apple prices.

Opinions? Is this overkill just to make youtube videos of my dog who generally just sits there all the time?

Diversified Unison

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Other
I found MacBook is over priced. You can invest small amount of that money into a windows laptop and some good software for video editing. I do have Mac but I use it only for music production but my all the videos are edited and done on windows. I didn't found any difference on video quality after editing on mac or windows. Hope this helps. :)

BrettMikaluk

Uniquely Awesome Since 1997
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Buy a 2012 MacBook, invest in a solid state hard drive and some extra RAM and it will last you forever. You can typically find 2012/2013 macbooks for around $500 to $800 depending on the quality and then invest another $200 in the RAM and solid state drive!

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I highly recommend it. Yes they are costly, but they’re built to last. I’m still using a mid 2014 MacBook Air and it runs as if I just bought it. I also have a 2017 MBP and both of them are beautiful. When I used PCs I would have so much trouble constantly with hardware issues. The final straw was when I bought an HP laptop and not even a week later the touch pad malfunctioned. Nothing like this has ever happened to me with an Apple product.

sanitary103

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I bought a macbook pro some years ago and spent over 2,000 on it. They are pretty damn pricey but I use it everyday for videos etc. Sometimes it powers down for no reason but other than that, it works pretty well. Final Cut X is pretty solid; not 100% perfect b/c it does have some minor glitches from time to time but overall good.

if you're planning on truly using it all the time, go for it. but I'm sure there are cheaper options that will do the job just fine.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I did the same as you but slowly moved over to higher end stuff. I use Adboe premire Elements and Bought a Dell xps laptop. Now supposedly its not as good as Apple but it also cost me about 2500 less. so I'm not sure if the extra cost is worth it right now for me.

Taz The Yorkie

Reaction score
Seriously about to take the plunge on this MacBook Pro:
13" Display
Intel Core i5 - 8 GB Memory
256GB Flash Storage
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640

Last chance to talk me out of spending my money...

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
They say that gear must pay for itself.

Here is another example, HP 4545s used, plus two SSDs (one on DVD tray) and 8Gb shareable mem.
It is an all around laptop that also is used for editing (Premiere) and simple graphics (AfterEffects).
Connected to a 24' external screen works to edit / render from weddings to full 3-4 hours events.
I do not remember exactly the cost but it is way too lower than a Mac even a used one.
Last summer I broke it's screen (still broken :p ) replacement cost = 70 Euros plus work plus vat.

I mean, if it is just for fun / youtubing, get an average computer
and spend more money on gear, camera, drone whatever you like...