Thinking of starting a monetised educational channel

Graham1982

Reaction score
Dear all:

I am new to Youtube in terms of creating content and therefore the title of this post might be misleading. Essentially, what I want to know is some information around copyright and also how I can do something if there is a copyright issue but removing the copyright issue.

OK, again, I understand that building a channel is a slow process and that I am not going to become a millionaire from this either at all or certainly not overnight. That being said, I think I have a good USP.

I am essentially a UK based High School teacher with a wealth of resources. What I want to do is do walk-throughs of poems etc and other English Language/Literature based questions using screen capture and my lesson PPTs.

Say for example if I had a lesson on a poem that is set in World War I and in said lesson I had a video clip from a WWI documentary that I had taken from Youtube and that this was made by a commercial TV producer like Discovery. Lets say the clip was five mins long and it had questions along with it - i.e. I didn't create the video bu I created the questions, would it be copyright infringement to include this in a video and if so could I get around this in any way (I don't want to pretend I created the video, I want to use the video for an exemplary purpose.

Many thanks

Graham

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Fair use only applies for non commercial projects

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the copyright / claims / legal forum. :)

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
and in said lesson I had a video clip from a WWI documentary that I had taken from Youtube and that this was made by a commercial TV producer like Discovery.
Expect to have your video swiftly removed from YouTube for copyright infringement, unless you are willing to contact The Discovery Channel and license what you want to use. This may cost you quite a bit of money; considering the size and value of the Dscovery Networks complex of channels.

Downloading content you don't own from YouTube is also a terms of service violation. The "way around" copyright infringement, is not to commit it in the first place. You do this by licensing all third party copyright media you wish to use in the videos you intend to upload to YouTube.

Videos which use unlicensed copyright content will also be considered non-monetizable as a rule.

Last edited: