Things To Do When Your Channel Slows Down

HumbleZeus

Leader of the Humblers, Thunder God, Pizza Lover
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Lots of people jump into YouTube full of energy, dreams, and goals but if you've been doing this for long enough there are points where your channel slows down, you don't get the same number of views, no one comments on any of your videos, and you receive half the amount of likes you used to get.

You aren't alone many of us have hit that point and it’s all natural but to help you along I have some tips to help you get through this stressful and depressing time :)

1. Use this time wisely. A big mistake I see lots of people make is they just keep pumping out video hoping things will pick up, that's not a bad idea but there are more constructive things that you can do. Like learning to use your equipment better if you are unsure of their limitations, write down any commentary, vlog, prank, ideas you think of, this will give you this will save you a lot of time when things pick back up since you'll have a list of ideas pre-made.

2. Channel Analysis and Improvement: Use this lull in views and growth to critically look at your channel or better yet ask groups of people to do it since you are in the YT forums and see where you can improve (I personally need to improve my thumbnails :p) do you need better quality, or does your voice echo a lot, can you hear your computer fan or console in the recordings and how can you fix these things. This will make your channel more appealing to not only your fans when they return and it will also attract new people who come across your videos and see a well maintained channel.

3. Get interactive on social media. This is the perfect time since YouTube isn't going so great at the moment you can spend that time on social media building a strong SM (social media) community. Hopping on Twitter, Facebook, Reddit or whatever you prefer and engaging with people there will give you a good reputation with others, encourage people to actually look at your channel, and help you meet other youtubers or potential partners. There really is no downside to this and it can benefit you greatly if done right.

4. Work on larger projects, with less views you don't need to rigidly keep to a schedule as much let people know you won't be uploading or that things will slow down, then go work on a big project maybe make a cool sniping montage, or mash-up of your channels channels funniest moments, revive the Harlem shake or whatever. Do something that you don't normally have time to do and do it, this will preoccupy you and give your subs and potential future subs a nice surprise.

5. Final tip go out and create some new experiences. YouTube in a lot of people’s cases keeps them in the house recording, editing, uploading, tweeting, etc. and we can forget to go out and make some memorable moments. This will relax you, make the time seem to go a bit faster, and when things do pick up you can talk about all those fun moments you had, all the people you met, maybe any business opportunities you ran into. This is probably one of the best tips I have for you.

New Tips
6. Another tip brought to my attention from a good friend of mine is to critically watch videos, and by that I mean really look at a video and think why did I click this video, whats kept me watching this video, what do I like about this video or this person, what do I dislike about this video or person. Use this as a way to add on to your channel never stop trying to improve look at what others are doing, you don't have to do exactly what they do but taking some ideas and techniques that can help better your channel can help improve your channel quality :).

7. Another tip that has come to my attention is trying new ideas. By this I mean if things are going kinda slow maybe now is the time to try a new approach maybe you'll start live streaming on twitch or youtube, maybe go on to make that beauty segment on your vlog channel, perhaps learn a skill like GFX in your spare time. Sitting idle waiting for your channel to pick up momentum is a waste when you could be actively working to improve yourself and your channel overall. Not the biggest tip but I've seen to many youtubers just sit idle waiting for things to get better.

I hope this neat little guide helps and for any grammar Nazis I have offend I so sorry but still hope I managed to help you out. Good luck to you all :)

Last edited:

HumbleZeus

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Another tip brought to my attention from a good friend of mine is to critically watch videos, and by that I mean really look at a video and think why did I click this video, whats kept me watching this video, what do I like about this video or this person, what do I dislike about this video or person. Use this as a way to add on to your channel never stop trying to improve look at what others are doing, you don't have to do exactly what they do but taking some ideas and techniques that can help better your channel can help improve your channel quality :).
I think I may continually add more to this thread and I again encourage you guys to leave your own tips

JamesWronaVlogs

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Those are definitely some great tips. It always sucks when your channel goes through a "slow" spot. But, it's definitely important to stay focused and if you love it then just chill and do it for that reason. Best of luck guys! :)

KtreyGaming

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Great tips! I'll definitely take these to heart and keep them in mind, when starting out it seems like my channel is nothing but slow haha

carlo1109

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Great tips especially the last one. I want to know why I watch that video, what made me click that video, etc.

Reactions: BillyVlogsTV

Justine

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Great tips! Tip #2 is especially important, and one that I really need to pay attention to, because it's all about improvement:biggrin:
Love these tips overall though:bounce:

HumbleZeus

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Great tips! Tip #2 is especially important, and one that I really need to pay attention to, because it's all about improvement:biggrin:
Love these tips overall though:bounce:
Always glad to help :)