Things to Consider when Joining a network/Choosing the right one

OwenBennett

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey Guys I decided to make an thread using my experience and knowledge in the youtube networks industry to put together a thread on what to consider when joining a network and which network is right for you.

This thread will Cover: CPM's,Contract Lengths,Perks,RevShares,Support,Promotion,Community.

CPM's(Cost Per Mile)/Revshares

CPM's is an abbreviation for Cost per Mile, this is the advertisers rate for selling the ads to be displayed on your videos. CPM's are different for every channel Note: NO Network can guarantee CPM's they can't guarantee any revenue either.
Check if the network have a capped/set CPM, it's better going with a network that doesn't because who knows how much money you could of made with another network without capped cpms. CPM's are calculated in dollars, you can calculate estimates of what you're earning with your average cpm or with youtube's dashboard.
Lets say your average cpm for the whole month is $5 you can accumulate your estimated gross revenue by using this formula:
Play-Based CPM x Monetised Views = Gross Revenue
Remember you are not paid in gross revenue you get a share depending on your network of the Net revenue generated from your channel. Net revenue is calculated by Taking 45% of your Total earnings(gross revenue) then subtracting your networks share and that is what you will earn.
e.g you earn a total of 50$(gross revenue) and 45% of it goes to Google, 20$ is the what is left and this is the net revenue. Out of the net revenue lets say your network takes a share of 30% , 20$x30%=6$ which is your networks share. Remaining is 14$ your share.
Remember to ask what the rev shares is and check in the contract what it says, is this okay for you? Can another network offer you more if you're bothered about the difference?

Contract Length
Remember to consider the contract length if they have a contract, a 1 year to 3 year contract is considerable maybe the network have better perks for longer contracts so ask them if they have different contract lengths ones that are more suited to you. Make sure you read the Contract before signing and ESPECIALLY the Small print. You never want to be locked in longer than you're comfortable with as you may have the worst experience and no way out.

Payment Schedule
Make sure you know when you're getting paid and if there is a threshold, most networks as I'm aware pay you 2 months 1st week after being partnered well at least that's how my networks pay is :) e.g. If you're partnered April 26th you will be paid 1st week of June 1-7th June for April payments and may payments in July and so on, you will be paid every month.
Make sure you don't join a network who have a high threshold e.g. 100$ chances are you will end up wanting to leave them and if you do leave you won't get the payment most likely.

Perks
When choosing a network you should ask yourself is the network offering me something others are not, do they have any sponsorship deals for the partners or any discounts they offer to you? Do they have custom dashboards/platforms where you can accumulate earnings/contact support. Are they offering any virtual services such as Music Library,Forums,Referral Programs, chances to make extra revenue etc.

Support
In order to have a good experience/understanding in your YouTube Career you need to have a good network which provides adequate support like clockwork when you need it the most. Make sure they are able to assist you and address your problems/concerns sufficiently and NEVER feel like you are being a pest asking them question,s you have a right to as their partner it's their job to take care of you. Check if the network can assist you in the way you prefer e.g. email or even Skype. Research the network on Google and check for posts on how reliable/helpful the network is, you never want to go to a network which will be your "friend" until you partnered and from there on never talk to you again.

Promotion
Check if the network use social media to the best of their ability and if they offer services on YouTube and the Web and even in real life to cross promote you. Things such as Featured Partners on their hub channels/websites or even shout outs via Social media and other virtual platforms.

Community
Look at the other networks partners/directors etc. check how they are being assisted/promoted and how their experience has been. Its always good to know the Networks community is friendly and supportive, if they have forums/websites you as a partner can access to promote/share your content and just get to know each other then its a definite perk.

This is what you should consider when joining a network feel free to comment on anything I've missed out or any questions/concerns you have.

Please spread this around and show your support this took me quite some time to put together and I hope it helps you out.

Thanks
Networks are good if they give you a high revshare! Missed that out ;) , 60/40 is alot worse than those network's with 80/20, Other than that good thread!

Wenry

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey Guys I decided to make an thread using my experience and knowledge in the youtube networks industry to put together a thread on what to consider when joining a network and which network is right for you.

This thread will Cover: CPM's,Contract Lengths,Perks,RevShares,Support,Promotion,Community.

CPM's(Cost Per Mile)/Revshares

CPM's is an abbreviation for Cost per Mile, this is the advertisers rate for selling the ads to be displayed on your videos. CPM's are different for every channel Note: NO Network can guarantee CPM's they can't guarantee any revenue either.
Check if the network have a capped/set CPM, it's better going with a network that doesn't because who knows how much money you could of made with another network without capped cpms. CPM's are calculated in dollars, you can calculate estimates of what you're earning with your average cpm or with youtube's dashboard.
Lets say your average cpm for the whole month is $5 you can accumulate your estimated gross revenue by using this formula:
Play-Based CPM x Monetised Views = Gross Revenue
Remember you are not paid in gross revenue you get a share depending on your network of the Net revenue generated from your channel. Net revenue is calculated by Taking 45% of your Total earnings(gross revenue) then subtracting your networks share and that is what you will earn.
e.g you earn a total of 50$(gross revenue) and 45% of it goes to Google, 20$ is the what is left and this is the net revenue. Out of the net revenue lets say your network takes a share of 30% , 20$x30%=6$ which is your networks share. Remaining is 14$ your share.
Remember to ask what the rev shares is and check in the contract what it says, is this okay for you? Can another network offer you more if you're bothered about the difference?

Contract Length
Remember to consider the contract length if they have a contract, a 1 year to 3 year contract is considerable maybe the network have better perks for longer contracts so ask them if they have different contract lengths ones that are more suited to you. Make sure you read the Contract before signing and ESPECIALLY the Small print. You never want to be locked in longer than you're comfortable with as you may have the worst experience and no way out.

Payment Schedule
Make sure you know when you're getting paid and if there is a threshold, most networks as I'm aware pay you 2 months 1st week after being partnered well at least that's how my networks pay is :) e.g. If you're partnered April 26th you will be paid 1st week of June 1-7th June for April payments and may payments in July and so on, you will be paid every month.
Make sure you don't join a network who have a high threshold e.g. 100$ chances are you will end up wanting to leave them and if you do leave you won't get the payment most likely.

Perks
When choosing a network you should ask yourself is the network offering me something others are not, do they have any sponsorship deals for the partners or any discounts they offer to you? Do they have custom dashboards/platforms where you can accumulate earnings/contact support. Are they offering any virtual services such as Music Library,Forums,Referral Programs, chances to make extra revenue etc.

Support
In order to have a good experience/understanding in your YouTube Career you need to have a good network which provides adequate support like clockwork when you need it the most. Make sure they are able to assist you and address your problems/concerns sufficiently and NEVER feel like you are being a pest asking them question,s you have a right to as their partner it's their job to take care of you. Check if the network can assist you in the way you prefer e.g. email or even Skype. Research the network on Google and check for posts on how reliable/helpful the network is, you never want to go to a network which will be your "friend" until you partnered and from there on never talk to you again.

Promotion
Check if the network use social media to the best of their ability and if they offer services on YouTube and the Web and even in real life to cross promote you. Things such as Featured Partners on their hub channels/websites or even shout outs via Social media and other virtual platforms.

Community
Look at the other networks partners/directors etc. check how they are being assisted/promoted and how their experience has been. Its always good to know the Networks community is friendly and supportive, if they have forums/websites you as a partner can access to promote/share your content and just get to know each other then its a definite perk.

This is what you should consider when joining a network feel free to comment on anything I've missed out or any questions/concerns you have.

Please spread this around and show your support this took me quite some time to put together and I hope it helps you out.

Thanks
Gosh this a whole new part of Youtube for me to learn. This will be difficult. I have a question. Do networks ever come to the youtubers and offer contracts or do the youtubers have to apply everytime?

Parallax Abstraction

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer
Gosh this a whole new part of Youtube for me to learn. This will be difficult. I have a question. Do networks ever come to the youtubers and offer contracts or do the youtubers have to apply everytime?

It can go either way. I've been approached by two sub-networks via YouTube PM but I haven't decided if I want to engage with them or not yet. From what I've read, the well-regarded networks usually expect you to apply, mostly because they're big enough that they don't need to seek out new members. If you are approached for recruitment, it will likely either be by a brand new network or a sub-network of a bigger one that's looking to add new members. There's nothing wrong with these kinds of places on their face at all but if you do choose to talk to them, make sure you ask lots of questions and thoroughly read your contract before agreeing to it.

scobel

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hello,

How many subscribes, views I need to have to join some gaming partnership? Every network have license for games or only few biggest ones?

karlsanada10

Monthly Video Game Giveaway on my channel now!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
No one has a license for games. Subscribers don't matter. Views matters though. I suggest you apply for partnership when you have 1000 views per day.

scobel

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thanks a lot for your answer. I was asking about game license but maybe I used wrong words. I read somewhere in this forum that on some network you can make videos from games like call of duty. So my answer is in every network I can do them ?

karlsanada10

Monthly Video Game Giveaway on my channel now!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
^yes, you can do them. You just need to have commentaries.

scobel

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Ok. Thanks for help. Your information was very usefull and I think that I know how to use it now. If I'm in network can I also receive mail that ads won't appear until I show some documets to prove that I can commercialy use video?

Riley Owen

That Aussie Vlogger
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Really great thread. Now I understand all the things (like CPM and that). Thanks! :)