"There isn't any room for new creators" - A Discussion

Kyrie

Creator.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I love film making, and I think I love this for a selfish reason: I'm given a voice. If I were to think about this in a not-so buzzword sentence I basically feel like the only way to accurately say what I have to say is through video. This isn't something super dramatic like "racism is terrible, here is why." but it's more so something like "Growing up is hard because of the job economy in my home town."

Ultimately, I never felt like I am living unless I am producing something like this. It boils down to this though: if no one is watching this, what's the point. I get it, ya know, it's not about the views. Which is true, and I don't care to be famous for videos, but I do want my hours of works to get in front of someones eyes.

If I can think of who the big boy is that makes videos I want to make, it's akin to Casey Neistat. There are tons of people now who make these great videos, and they also do have a voice.

I just don't know what to do, and I don't know if YouTube is a platform for what I want to make.

Scootakip [Lana]

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Youtube is extremely over saturated with content creators of all genres.
However, I don't think this makes it impossible for new channels to gain recognition of some kind. It just makes it... More difficult, I suppose.
It also helps if you appeal to Youtube as a company, as in, make completely and totally non controversial, family friendly content, make content that is easy and quick to upload so that you can upload often, and make videos over 10 minutes long, and very clickbaity.
However, I say to hell with that! f**k Youtube and the kinda "family friendly" horseshit that they want.

Reactions: Farley Productions

Hulio

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
There's room for new Youtubers, new musicians, new films, new TV shows, new athletes, artists, etc. Every year will bring about huge successes from people we hadn't heard of before. How any one person breaks through and gets noticed is a different story. Some will find a way... most won't.

Wreckless Eating

YouTube Space LA Alumni
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
There's definitely been a shift on YouTube away from quirky user generated content. This shift is because advertisers have told YouTube they want studiomproduced content from thevbuzzfeeds of the world, so while YouTube is still a great platform, it's trying to make its image more professional by promoting different content it's no longer supporting crazy home movies anymore. People will still see good content but it takes a bit longer for them to discover it. Perhaps platforms like Facebook or live.me might be better suited to what you are doing. Good luck in your ventures.

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Youtube is extremely over saturated with content creators of all genres.
However, I don't think this makes it impossible for new channels to gain recognition of some kind. It just makes it... More difficult, I suppose.
It also helps if you appeal to Youtube as a company, as in, make completely and totally non controversial, family friendly content, make content that is easy and quick to upload so that you can upload often, and make videos over 10 minutes long, and very clickbaity.
However, I say to hell with that! f**k Youtube and the kinda "family friendly" horseshit that they want.
It's definitely hard for new creators because of how saturated Youtube is. I agree. Plus not everything you make is going to be "family-friendly." So gaining monetization rights on most videos will be even more difficult to today's standard. I'm a film-maker myself and while I'm still working on getting bigger projects out it does make it hard to get a lot of people to see my work. But I still keep making videos and putting them out there. To me Youtube is like a portfolio that I can show to anybody. Plus it's free compared to owning your own site and you do have a chance of getting yourself out there. Granted it's going to be much more difficult today compared to like 5-10 years ago. =] But as a film-maker we got to try every possible way to get ourselves seen and heard. Don't give up.

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
Not only it's saturated but there's a very high turnover. If I decided to quit today there's already someone waiting at the door to take my place and like OP said if nobody is listening is it really worthy to put effort into it?
On the topic of advertising friendly content, is it really worthy to suppress your creativity to please corporations for an arbitrary monetization system that may screw you over any time?

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
There might not even be room for creators who have been on YouTube for many years, not just new creators.

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
It might sound a bit cold but there are a few truths that must be faced

1- it costs money to run YouTube and so it takes money to keep it running. And that means things that draw money will be favored over things which won't.

2- not all videos are equal

But YouTube does allow you to submit nearly anything and share it as you like. There's never been a better time to speak your mind