Theory About Over-Professionalism?

Landen

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey all, I just recently thought about this. This is a weird thought but I'm creating videos that right off the bat have a ton of editing (music, sound effects, popups, animations, etc). Because my channel is so new, I don't really have a lot of views. I realize things can only improve over time, but I'm starting to wonder if I should dumb down my quality of editing and focus more on community engagement first. I don't want new viewers to see my videos and think "this is great editing, but no one else is really watching this" and consequently have a negative view that it's "too much". I don't know. I guess I'm asking if there is such a thing as too much professionalism early in the game. Thoughts?

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I don't think dumbing down your content will help out at this point. Many current subscribers you have now will wonder why you are moving backwards instead of forwards. Whether you explain it or not. So to me I don't think it's necessary. Plus you are also at a really good spot at the moment. High Quality content and over 2,000 subs. Most new Youtubers would be jealous. So just keep up the good work in my opinion. =]

Landen

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I don't think dumbing down your content will help out at this point. Many current subscribers you have now will wonder why you are moving backwards instead of forwards. Whether you explain it or not. So to me I don't think it's necessary. Plus you are also at a really good spot at the moment. High Quality content and over 2,000 subs. Most new Youtubers would be jealous. So just keep up the good work in my opinion. =]
Thanks man! I know it seems like a stupid thought but it made sense to me in some way haha. It'll probably just help if I keep up the editing while working on community engagement as well.

Reactions: Farley Productions

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
NO! I felt the same way. I was making epic "recipe review" battles that took DAYS to film and hours upon hours to edit down. But it turns out that's what people were attracted to. I often get the comment that "I feel like I'm watching a cooking shown on tv!" And that grew my subscriber base to currently just shy of 3,000 in 4 months.

Keep doing what you're doing. It was your original vision and if you're like me, it's what makes it worthwhile. Working hard to provide superb content is nothing to shy away from or be ashamed of.

Heading to check out your channel now. :)

Landen

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
NO! I felt the same way. I was making epic "recipe review" battles that took DAYS to film and hours upon hours to edit down. But it turns out that's what people were attracted to. I often get the comment that "I feel like I'm watching a cooking shown on tv!" And that grew my subscriber base to currently just shy of 3,000 in 4 months.

Keep doing what you're doing. It was your original vision and if you're like me, it's what makes it worthwhile. Working hard to provide superb content is nothing to shy away from or be ashamed of.

Heading to check out your channel now. :)
This was an encouraging read! Thanks mate, I checked out yours and I really really appreciate the similar blooper style editing we share! <--- a new forum topic I want to now write about haha