The ultimate Reddit guide.

uberdanger

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hello everyone, and welcome to my Reddit guide. I got inspired to write this, mainly because I'm sitting up at 5:40 am with a ****** up sleep schedule, but also because many people constantly ask me how I became viral through Reddit. So I'm going to cover how Reddit works and operates, and also how you can cheat the system (to some extent)

Now before you jump the gun on anything, achieving success on Reddit is incredibly hard, I've spent tons of hours with both figuring out how Reddit works, and also to get success on there. Please note that with my most revolutionising video, I got frontpage and tons of traffic. That is the ONLY time Reddit has helped me grow, and I have made over 80 attempts on there.

I've recently made a video which was definately frontpage worthy, and I'm not tooting my own horn but from an unbiased perspective, this had truly never been seen before in the LoL that I make videos about. I even made it to top 5 on the frontpage, and the post got DELETED, because I had shared the link with my friends.

Let's start off with the website algorythms:
Reddit determines a Karma score by subtracting the posts downvotes, from it's upvotes. It then decides where to rank it, based on how much time has passed since the post was submitted. This is why you sometimes see a 2000 karma post in 2nd place, and a 400 karma post as #1 on a subreddit. The more time passes, the less likely it is to hit the frontpage, and if it hasn't hit the frontpage within 24 hours, you can consider your post dead.

The first 10 upvotes and the time it takes to get them, are as important to the next 100, and thoose to the next 1000. Which is of course also true for dislikes. Once a post hits the frontpage, that's when you really start getting traffic.

The right subreddit:
Now finding the right subreddit is crucial to getting traffic through Reddit, if the subreddit you find is too large and not specific enough towards your content, then you won't have a chance of getting frontpage. But if it's too small, then you won't get that big a reward out of hitting frontpage.

Try searching for a subreddit super relevant to whatever you're doing, I can warmly recommend: r/halo, r/gaming, r/videos, r/montageparodies, r/dragonsfuckingcars.

Relevant content:Now is the part where you have to evaluate whether your content is suited for the Reddit frontpage, what type of content is required to get on the frontpage? Well I've briefly mentioned relevancy, however try thinking of the frontpage of Reddit, as the frontpage of a newspaper. You will never see irrelevant videos, meaning that if your content isn't revolutionizing, then you have no chance of getting in the top 10.

Think of it like this, if you have a video explaining why you're buying the ps4 instead of the xbone, then you will not get frontpage on r/gaming or any other subreddit. But if you had a video revealing new info, which could change the minds of someone who wanted to chose between theese two systems, then you would have a bigger chance of getting to the frontpage.

Let's plays, vlogs, and all monotonous content WILL NOT get frontpage, or even upvoted on Reddit.

Basically, many peoples content aren't meant for Reddit, since Reddit is basically a new website for everything, and if what you have isn't truly revolutionising, then you won't get anything out of bothering to use Reddit.

Last edited:

Camille Montpetit

Poutine's lover
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Omg I love you for writing this. I have to go to bed but I'm definetely gonna read that soon :)

PressRecord

Daily Vlogs on a Daily Basis!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Thank you for this. I actually started studying reddit today trying to figure things out. This helps quite a lot!

We do high quality comedy sketches. If it was something funny enough would reddit be a good avenue to try? Or is sketch comedy something frowned upon on reddit?

uberdanger

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thank you for this. I actually started studying reddit today trying to figure things out. This helps quite a lot!

We do high quality comedy sketches. If it was something funny enough would reddit be a good avenue to try? Or is sketch comedy something frowned upon on reddit?
If it's funny enough, r/funny or r/videos.

Stretchroc

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks uberdanger, you inspired me to make league of legends montages.

Acidicfriend

magic music master, crazy commentator guy
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
this is very handy, thank you.

I've never used reddit and I've hardly ever been on the page.
hopefully it can spread the word :D

LukeM

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If you really wanted to cheat the system you could try these two methods:

blackhatworld.com/blackhat-seo/freebies-giveaways/579586-free-500-brand-new-reddit-accounts-june-22nd-23rd.html here is just under 1,000 reddit accounts.

hidemyass.com/proxy-list/ here's the largest proxy list in the whole world.

whatismyipaddress.com/using-proxies Here's how to connect to a proxy.

If you knew what you were doing I don't see why you couldn't give yourself 1,000 reddit up votes, since you'll have a new IP address every time. I would suggest doing it in private/incongnito mode, as Reddit puts cookies on your computer. That means every 10 or so upvotes just close the browser and reopen in incongnito/private mode and it should work as those cookies will be gone and you can continue.

I haven't tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work and with 1,000 reddit accounts you could get on the front page (potentially).

Reactions: syla