Famebit
  1. Join the largest paid sponsorship network. No contracts, no gimmicks, get paid quick. New sponsorships are added daily. Join at famebit.com

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Guide to Video Thumbnails

Discussion in 'Branding & Design' started by Cosmonaut, Dec 10, 2013.

1. uberdanger
    I Love YTtalk
    Cash:
    $82
    That's not the point, if you're gonna make an "ultimate guide to thumbnails" you should mention that for example if you're having a viral video you shouldn't just have a normal video with text, in fact by analytics I can see that any of my videos that has over 300,000 views get better exponential growth if I use a thumbnail with no text.

Statistics matter a whole lot.

2. Cosmonaut
    Cash:
    $55
    Heya, thanks for the feedback. I don't want to come off as offensive at all but I don't really know of other types of thumbnails, maybe it is a fault on my part. If you could give me some examples I'd be happy to expand the guide on other types of thumbnails and tips for making them. By the way, I've read some of your guides on here and they're really helpful, so it would be cool to get some more feedback on how to make mine better (since this is my first guide). Thanks

3. Messages:
    Cash:
    $12,360
    OMG IS THAT TOONTOWN? :D PLEASE SAY THAT'S TOONTOWN.

Great guide, by the way. I'll definitely be looking at this when I make thumbnails, but... ToonTown...

4. Cosmonaut
    Cash:
    $55
    It is indeed ToonTown :D I miss that game so much...

JeriKane likes this.
  5. Julio Fragoso
    Cash:
    $19
    i try to make clean stuff!

6. Future History Projects
    I Love YTtalk
    Cash:
    $22
    This pure beauty. Thanks!

7. VanCityVideo
    Posting Mad!
    Cash:
    $12
    What do you mean when you say they "get better exponential growth"? Also it seems that only one of your videos with over 300k views doesn't have text in the title. But frankly, your strategy seems to be to put irrelevant half naked chicks into the thumbnail, which I guess does work :p

Anyways, OP you're missing some additional blind spots. Check out people's signatures on this forum. There's a bar along both the top and bottom that gets slightly cut off by the player. Also the play button in the dead center. It's pretty silly how many blind spots there are actually.

While it isn't an "ultimate" guide - it is a good start in helping people put effective text on their thumbnails, so thanks for that =)

8. uberdanger
    I Love YTtalk
    Cash:
    $82
    The more people click it, the better exponential growth.
    The main demographic on Youtube is guys
    guys have dicks
    dicks like tits
    so let's throw em a bunch of boobies and wait in our big pile of money
    -Gigguk 2013

9. Messages:
    Cash:
    $8
    I would say that the blind spot session was the most comprehensive explanation that I ever saw, but the center of the video should not contain elements too in case you embed your video somewhere else.

10. FlashToroGaming
    Loving YTtalk
    Cash:
    $27
    Truly an excellent guide, we all must find our own styles still, whether it be through font, a logo, organization, coloration, etc. Branding in my opinion is something you MUST keep consistent between your thumbnails which means they qall share similarities of style so it just doesn't look like one big mess.