The Ultimate Guide for Lets Players

Br00tal

No Mercy For The Weak
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator
1. Introduction
Hello fellow YTTalk user! If you are a gamer or not, this might be a good guide for you to read take to heart. All this are genuinely coming from me and my experiences being a lets player. Enjoy.

2. Lets Playing?
What is Lets playing? Well, its when you record yourself playing through a game with commentary. There are often that people mix the terms in this case.
"Let's Play" = Live Gameplay with Commentary.
Playthrough = Gameplay just as a LP, but without commentary.
Walkthrough = Gameplay, but just going straight to where you are supposed to go for progress.
Live Commentary = Someone elses gameplay, but your commentary. Like on soccermatches on tv.
The two bold one are the types that actually needs skills to pull off well.

3. Equpiment

HardwareWhat do you need for Lets Playing? PC and or/and a console. But there is much more to it.
For consoles, you need a HD PVR or a Capture card. LPing on console are a bit cheaper compared to High-End PC LPing. Do what you feel is right for you. If you own both Console and PC - you are far ahead certain individuals already - Because you have access to both PC and Console Exclusive games. Equipment except this are Microphone/Headphones/Headsets.
In my opinion Headsets are far better than Standalone microphones - but thats me. Go for what you feel is right for you. I also recommend getting a External Harddrive for storage of raw footage and finalized videos.

SoftwareIf you play games on a PC, i highly recommend that you get Steam/Origin/Desura.
They are platforms you can BUY games on and have them on your account. Pirating games as a Lets Player are a no-no. But how the hell can people notice? Achievements. So i highly recommend not to pirate games.
Moving on to Non-game related software. The things you need are:
Something to record with.
Something to edit/render with.
Something to compress the video size with. (Optional)

Recording Software
Editing Software
For compressing files, use Handbrake.
http://handbrake.fr/

4. Technique + Tips'n Tricks
This is almost the most important part of the guide. When you are Lets Playing, be you and NO ONE ELSE. Not being yourself while playing makes the whole procedure not enjoyable. You have to love what you are doing. I know that its hard in the beginning to get everything started, but practice makes perfect. Just do your best and enjoy it.
Lets break down a basic lets play video in a few parts.
If you have an intro, keep the length around 5-8 seconds MAX. Normal attention span of a viewer is 15 seconds.
Introduction is important, keep it short and do it your way. I always welcome my viewers and say which game it is and what happened in the previous video - thats pretty basic, but remember to add that personal twist to it!
Now for the main part of the video where you are supposed to play and commentate. My personal tip is, "Try to stay enthusiastic and say it instead of think it." You can go pretty far with just that. Interacting with your viewers while lets playing is something that are quite hard to pull off - but if you manage, its a winning concept. I only know one person that can pull this off properly. If you want to know, ask me. This post is not for advertising others on.
Ending the video and a little reminder for non-subscribers to maybe subscribe/like/share if they like the content.

The LP style varies depending on game genre. Find your way through this and settle somewhere and get used to it - and from there, improve your commentary by practicing. More of this in chapter 5.

5. Quality Analysis & Self-Improvement
How do you know if your channel and content are good enough? Ask people that watch your videos, ask for a honest opinion about your content. Sometimes you NEED a honest opinion for pushing you back on track. Because its very easy drifting off and losing the grip of your commentary. "Its going well now and i can slack a bit." - Don't even think of it because its very noticable - and sometimes we cant help it, we automatically fall into the pit.

The basic things for keeping a viewer is clear video and audio. If you have s****y quality, there is a high chance that people wont watch it. The worst turnoff is crappy audio.
Another thing is Quality over Quantity - Rather 5 good videos than 10 crappy. But remember that there is people able to create 10 flawless videos during a week - its something you must practice up. Practice is EVERYTHING. I have made approx 700 videos during my life.
The first 400 videos were on my old channel and there were no quality content commentary at all.The first 150 videos on my new channel are videos without enthusiasm.
The recent 60-50 videos are where i "Say it instead of thinking it".
Looking back on old content makes you realize how much you improved. Certain people improve faster or slower, but so long you enjoy it - it will be much easier.

Dont be shy for asking for feedback. If they reject you, you atleast tried. But if you need some honest feedback of your content, i am always here for giving you it. A slap in the face are good sometimes.
7. Networking
I recommend using Facebook and Twitter. Find communities where you can interact with other content creators that make the similar content, gaming forums and such. Specific twitter tips, follow other LPers and interact with them - they might end up checking your content and sub you or give you a shoutout on twitter or their channel.

Partnership Advice - Coming Soon

8. Last Word
So, i might seem like the biggest stuck-up faggot that takes this seriously and only aiming for fame. But you know what, if you are doing something - atleast do it properly. The best feeling is when people tell you that they enjoy your content - thats what i want to achieve. Even if i spend 5-6 hours daily to make stuff for my channel, interact with content creators and record/edit/render/upload videos - i have fun with it, and thats the important part. These two hours are a two well spent hours - and i hope you liked it.

Br00tal out.

ItsTehShadow

YTtalk's Purple Enthusiast!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator
Wow, this awesome thanks. I'm sure it will help both me and everyone else :D

Reactions: Br00tal

GafferGames

YTTalk's Local Sloth
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator
Very good guide, this turned out really well and you put a lot of really good and helpful detain into the post, good job! :)

Br00tal

No Mercy For The Weak
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator
I will also expand this when i can.

Vigie

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Great guide! Will be awesome for people getting into LP'ing! covers all the essentials, good work! :)

and hi!

Reactions: Br00tal

droidiinator

YTtalk cash donated: $489
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
This is really helpfull thanks :) I didn't know what was the diffrence between a playthrough and a walkthrough lol thanks :p

Beanbag

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
This makes all my guides look like s**t, Thanks Obama! Haha, Good job Br00tal! I'm sure it will help many LP'ers. <3

Reactions: droidiinator

Reina

YTT's Grey Warden
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator
1. Introduction
Hello fellow YTTalk user! If you are a gamer or not, this might be a good guide for you to read take to heart. All this are genuinely coming from me and my experiences being a lets player. Enjoy.

2. Lets Playing?
What is Lets playing? Well, its when you record yourself playing through a game with commentary. There are often that people mix the terms in this case.
"Let's Play" = Live Gameplay with Commentary.
Playthrough = Gameplay just as a LP, but without commentary.
Walkthrough = Gameplay, but just going straight to where you are supposed to go for progress.
Live Commentary = Someone elses gameplay, but your commentary. Like on soccermatches on tv.
The two bold one are the types that actually needs skills to pull off well.

3. Equpiment

HardwareWhat do you need for Lets Playing? PC and or/and a console. But there is much more to it.
For consoles, you need a HD PVR or a Capture card. LPing on console are a bit cheaper compared to High-End PC LPing. Do what you feel is right for you. If you own both Console and PC - you are far ahead certain individuals already - Because you have access to both PC and Console Exclusive games. Equipment except this are Microphone/Headphones/Headsets.
In my opinion Headsets are far better than Standalone microphones - but thats me. Go for what you feel is right for you. I also recommend getting a External Harddrive for storage of raw footage and finalized videos.

SoftwareIf you play games on a PC, i highly recommend that you get Steam/Origin/Desura.
They are platforms you can BUY games on and have them on your account. Pirating games as a Lets Player are a no-no. But how the hell can people notice? Achievements. So i highly recommend not to pirate games.
Moving on to Non-game related software. The things you need are:

Something to record with.
Something to edit/render with.
Something to compress the video size with. (Optional)

Recording Software
Editing Software

For compressing files, use Handbrake.

http://handbrake.fr/

4. Technique + Tips'n Tricks
This is almost the most important part of the guide. When you are Lets Playing, be you and NO ONE ELSE. Not being yourself while playing makes the whole procedure not enjoyable. You have to love what you are doing. I know that its hard in the beginning to get everything started, but practice makes perfect. Just do your best and enjoy it.
Lets break down a basic lets play video in a few parts.
If you have an intro, keep the length around 5-8 seconds MAX. Normal attention span of a viewer is 15 seconds.
Introduction is important, keep it short and do it your way. I always welcome my viewers and say which game it is and what happened in the previous video - thats pretty basic, but remember to add that personal twist to it!
Now for the main part of the video where you are supposed to play and commentate. My personal tip is, "Try to stay enthusiastic and say it instead of think it." You can go pretty far with just that. Interacting with your viewers while lets playing is something that are quite hard to pull off - but if you manage, its a winning concept. I only know one person that can pull this off properly. If you want to know, ask me. This post is not for advertising others on.
Ending the video and a little reminder for non-subscribers to maybe subscribe/like/share if they like the content.

The LP style varies depending on game genre. Find your way through this and settle somewhere and get used to it - and from there, improve your commentary by practicing. More of this in chapter 5.

5. Quality Analysis & Self-Improvement
How do you know if your channel and content are good enough? Ask people that watch your videos, ask for a honest opinion about your content. Sometimes you NEED a honest opinion for pushing you back on track. Because its very easy drifting off and losing the grip of your commentary. "Its going well now and i can slack a bit." - Don't even think of it because its very noticable - and sometimes we cant help it, we automatically fall into the pit.

The basic things for keeping a viewer is clear video and audio. If you have s****y quality, there is a high chance that people wont watch it. The worst turnoff is crappy audio.
Another thing is Quality over Quantity - Rather 5 good videos than 10 crappy. But remember that there is people able to create 10 flawless videos during a week - its something you must practice up. Practice is EVERYTHING. I have made approx 700 videos during my life.
The first 400 videos were on my old channel and there were no quality content commentary at all.The first 150 videos on my new channel are videos without enthusiasm.
The recent 60-50 videos are where i "Say it instead of thinking it".
Looking back on old content makes you realize how much you improved. Certain people improve faster or slower, but so long you enjoy it - it will be much easier.

Dont be shy for asking for feedback. If they reject you, you atleast tried. But if you need some honest feedback of your content, i am always here for giving you it. A slap in the face are good sometimes.
7. Networking
I recommend using Facebook and Twitter. Find communities where you can interact with other content creators that make the similar content, gaming forums and such. Specific twitter tips, follow other LPers and interact with them - they might end up checking your content and sub you or give you a shoutout on twitter or their channel.

Partnership Advice - Coming Soon

8. Last Word
So, i might seem like the biggest stuck-up faggot that takes this seriously and only aiming for fame. But you know what, if you are doing something - atleast do it properly. The best feeling is when people tell you that they enjoy your content - thats what i want to achieve. Even if i spend 5-6 hours daily to make stuff for my channel, interact with content creators and record/edit/render/upload videos - i have fun with it, and thats the important part. These two hours are a two well spent hours - and i hope you liked it.

Br00tal out.
Great guide, Broobs!