The Tik Tok vs Musical.ly Phenomenon?

Freyal

I'm already Tracer.

Musical.ly, known for its cringe and children who have gone on to become internet sensations (looking at you Jacob Sartorius). Musical.ly was a huge hit among the younger audience online, and their content creators were mostly very serious about the app. However, let's look at Tik Tok because I believe there is ALOT more to say about it.

Tik Tok has blown up. I can't tell you how many Tik Tok ads, video compilations, and references I see daily across the internet. The best part about Tik Tok: there's only a handful who make SERIOUS videos and a massive population dedicated to making fun of those that do, or creating their own "ironic" videos.

I've seen videos ranging from "Why do good girls like bad guys?" to duets making fun of "I'm already tracer". So my question is, what happened? How did a rebranding work so well in not only gaining a larger audience but, in my opinion, almost completely changing the foundation of the platform?

Now, I've had this question for a real long time, and I figured I would finally ask.

That's a really interesting question..
I don't even know what could have sparked the change, I guess the Duet feature made a massive difference because it brought the mocking/jokes to the actual platform, rather than just .. making a YouTube video talking about it, it's more involved somehow so it would encourage more people to ACTUALLY download the app and get involved, rather than just watch peoples reactions..
I think that's the only key difference right? I don't know if there was a duet feature on Musical.ly, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't, right?

Either way, it's super odd, and while I enjoy some TikTok parody stuff it's literally the same memes on repeat at this point hahah

That's a really interesting question..
I don't even know what could have sparked the change, I guess the Duet feature made a massive difference because it brought the mocking/jokes to the actual platform, rather than just .. making a YouTube video talking about it, it's more involved somehow so it would encourage more people to ACTUALLY download the app and get involved, rather than just watch peoples reactions..
I think that's the only key difference right? I don't know if there was a duet feature on Musical.ly, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't, right?

Either way, it's super odd, and while I enjoy some TikTok parody stuff it's literally the same memes on repeat at this point hahah

I'm glad someone else is as confused as I am! I just don't get it lol

Back