Famebit
  1. Join the largest paid sponsorship network. No contracts, no gimmicks, get paid quick. New sponsorships are added daily. Join at famebit.com

Dismiss Notice

The smart dingus guide to Reddit.

Discussion in 'YouTube Video Marketing, Strategy & SEO' started by uberdanger, Dec 30, 2013.

1. uberdanger
    I Love YTtalk
    Cash:
    $82
    Alright so this post originally went up over a year ago.
    Then a lot of things changed, so the information written here was mostly misinformation.

Theese are the key things you need to know about Reddit.
    It works kind of like an "internet newspaper", the frontpage is seen by everyone and gives SUPER much traffic to all the content on there, however to get to the frontpage a post (a submission of a link, that can be to anything, including a Youtube video) must have a high "karma score"

Your karma score is your upvotes on the post minus your downvotes, basically every user can either press up or down, and in short terms if it gets a lot of ups, your post rises.

There are "subreddits", which for my analogy can be described as different types of newspapers.
    They may not be the "standard" newspaper that everyone sees, however there's a subreddit for (almost) anything. I get around 6-7,000,000 views a month, and I wouldn't have been here if it wasn't for the league of legends subreddit.

The smaller a subreddit the easier it is to get to the frontpage and make a name for yourself there, keep that in mind. Vote manipulation is near impossible on Reddit.

To have people upvoting your post, it has to fill a niche, be unique. For example if your video isn't "newsworthy" so to speak, you wouldn't make the frontpage of the "newspaper". I hope this somewhat sums it up, Reddit is one of the best sources of traffic if you know how to use it right.

Some gamers have it easy, League of Legends, Minecraft, Dota, call of duty, and a lot of other big games all have big subreddits, which means that your original content will be able to get a lot of traffic.

#1 uberdanger, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
    Blue Hue, Tayo, LordMongrel and 17 others like this.
  2. Thrashbat
    Thrashimation's Favorite Bat!
    Cash:
    $819
    I've been looking into Reddit. I still don't completely understand it, but this is a good start. Thank you!

3. colevincent1
    not just another vlogger
    Cash:
    $119
    Thanks uber! Another wonderful guide :)

4. uberdanger
    I Love YTtalk
    Cash:
    $82
    To summarize, reddit is "the frontpage of the internet" and it's entirely user driven. What content gets promoted depends entirely on people upvoting/downvoting.
    Every post has a certaint amount of "karma", karma = your upvotes minus your downvotes. So 1000 upvotes and 500 downvotes on a post gives you 500 karma.

Your post gets ranked with an algorhythm of karma and post time, the longer time has passed since you posted, the more karma you need to stay on frontpage.

Subreddis are the different sections of Reddit, since Reddit is a site for anything you want really. All the Subreddits that you "follow" or subscribe to, gets shown to you on the frontpage with a mix of posts from each subreddit. The beauty of Reddit is that it's different for anyone, it can be whatever you want it to be.

Don't want news? unsubscribe from news! Want news about a game? subscribe to that games subreddit!

Reddit can be used as, and IS a functional: news website, entertainment hub, p**n site, meme base, knowledge base, and much more.

It's my favorite website by far, and if you're getting into reddit my reccomendation is /r/askreddit, I can just spend hours reading through posts there.

5. SwingPoynt
    I Love YTtalk
    Cash:
    $135
    Always been a bit afraid of reddit. Some real stinkyheads hang out there.

I'd say subreddits are definitely the safer option.

What surprised me is how many downvotes you got on a certain post. (about 4000). Yet your video only had about 130 dislikes on YT. compared to the thousands of likes.

UKHypnotist and Webchat Boys like this.
  6. uberdanger
    I Love YTtalk
    Cash:
    $82
    I don't think you understand Reddit.
    "Subreddits are definately the safer option"
    there's no alternative to subreddits on reddit, every place on reddit is a subreddit. You can't submit something WITHOUT submitting it to a subreddit.

As for the dislikes, no I did not get 4000 downvotes. Reddit scrambles votes to prevent botting, so it may add 10 upvotes and 10 downvotes, it leaves the karma the same, but it makes it impossible for botters to see which of their upvotes go through. I wouldn't expect more than maybe 30 of thoose to be actual downvotes.

7. SwingPoynt
    I Love YTtalk
    Cash:
    $135

Excuse me, What I meant by subbreddits was the "specific" topics. Instead of just "funny" or "gaming". I said it incorrectly.

8. uberdanger
    I Love YTtalk
    Cash:
    $82
    Oh right, I get what you mean. Default subreddits which you are automatically subscribed to when making a user, are the most bland and impossible to get frontpage on.

9. NIP
    NIP
    Raaawrrr Raaaaawwrr Raaaaaawrr!
    Cash:
    $1,542
    A nice guide! Thanks man!

Webchat Boys and uberdanger like this.
  10. uberdanger
    I Love YTtalk
    Cash:
    $82
    You're ever so welcome, if you have any questions or anything just feel free to ask ;3

NIP likes this.