The Sheer Lack of Motivation

LifeOfKieran

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
So.

It happens to all of us.

The motivation of uploading videos to YouTube just disappears.

That's where I've been. For the past... 6 months.

I used to daily vlog, but literally have no idea what to upload these days.

I work from home almost every day, and really want to make content.

How do you get past this lack of motivation?

Thanks.

Kyonite

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Comedian
Just do it is the only thing. Maybe go talk to someone and throw around ideas, maybe get them in on the video. I think getting friends in on your videos is one of the only things that can make them enjoyable when you get bored of what you're making.

LifeOfKieran

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Just do it is the only thing. Maybe go talk to someone and throw around ideas, maybe get them in on the video. I think getting friends in on your videos is one of the only things that can make them enjoyable when you get bored of what you're making.
I guess so yeah, I'm definitely thinking of just uploading whatever I want, but I also want to make content that will be liked by others.

Feel like I might start livestreaming to my account too.

Thanks for you reply!

Cassarilla

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Cartoonist
Been in the same boat before and have read a lot about motivation lately. It's honestly overrated. To do something consistently it isn't about feeling motivated but being disciplined when you aren't. Motivation is so amazing when it is there, but it's also very unpredictable. Finally found some consistency in my channel by being disciplined and simplifying my content to something more manageable to shoot, edit and post within my busy schedule.

It's way easier said than done but just getting started is the best way to go.

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It happens to all of us.
Indeed and like you say it happens to all of us. I just made a post about it too. For me a long summer break was what I needed. I decided to take 1 and a half month and didnt log in to my channel at all. This was great for me cause now I´m back a much more motivated:) But i dont know if a break is what you need since you basicly have had a break for 6 month (If I understandyou correct)

Looped Fruit

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Found something you enjoy, generally if you plan something in life that you like, you'll look forward to it when the day comes. Also challenge yourself, you'd be surprised what you are capable of until you try.

PictureFIT

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Being a content creator can be extremely demotivating. It's one major aspect that new creators learn the hard way. Since there are not many initial incentives, you'll have to rely on a lot of personal dedication and drive to push yourself through the lack of motivation. That's just what it has to be. Believe in your content and your talent (but also be honest) and don't rely on motivation to get things done. One of my favorite mottos from Gary Vee is "document, don't create." Sometimes you just have to start recording regardless of whether you have a plan.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
To do something consistently it isn't about feeling motivated but being disciplined when you aren't.
+1

Great post and very true. If we only do things when we're motivated, we'd get nothing done. Nobody is motivated to study for exams or to clean their toilet or to go to work on Monday morning or to go to the gym when we're tired. Waiting for motivation doesn't help. Getting disciplined and forming good habits does help.

A good quote I recently heard.

"There are 2 types of pain in this world. 1)The pain of being disciplined or 2)The pain of regret. Choose wisely."

A good book on the subject of getting things done and not procrastinating is "Eat that frog" by Brian Tracy.

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The thing with YouTube is that you can't force it. I practically burned myself out on it and nearly quit in 2016 till I did a hard reset with the help of a fellow car enthusiast that lured me back in the game with a R35 GTR. Now I no longer force content and just create when I want to create and what I want to create. I never looked back. It is the best hobby in the world and I am not going to give it up until I have to give it up.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
For me its a chore to keep up and meet my regular upload schedule. I lack motivation but with the money I make - I keep going.