The road from 1000 to 10000

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
I find getting the first 100 extremely daunting. Getting videos to appear on the search is hard.
It took me about 10 videos to get to 100. But I saw your channel. Your titles and descriptions are way too short! Kids toys is so competitive so use all the characters YouTube gives you

ToysForKids

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
It took me about 10 videos to get to 100. But I saw your channel. Your titles and descriptions are way too short! Kids toys is so competitive so use all the characters YouTube gives you
Could you give me an example of a title I should use? Take one of my current ones and edit it as an example. Please.

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
Could you give me an example of a title I should use? Take one of my current ones and edit it as an example. Please.
Lego city fishing boat should be more like "kids can play with fun lego city fishing boat - legos Unboxing- children's toys"

TriTri

Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
It took me 1 year to get to 1000 subs and i'm finding my channel just isn't growing since then...but that could be because I haven't had as much time for it the past few months because of university work! I was really hoping my growth would pick up after reaching 1k but that doesn't seem to be happening xD yet anyways!

Pierce's Mom

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I hit 1000 in my first year and 2000 by end year 2
Its now end year 3 and im at 70'000
I havnt done anything different..
That's an amazing growth in the third year! This is why YT is a conundrum... 68K in one year from doing nothing different.[DOUBLEPOST=1493824773,1493824471][/DOUBLEPOST]
Took me 7 months to 1k, 2,5 months to get to 9K and yesterday suddenly got 1150 subscribers on one day (previous record 243 on one day) so finally crossed the 10K subs mark.
I overhauled my channel completely in November last year, aligning more with what's trending in my niche. I've analyzed video statistics endlessly on videos I made to try to see where e.g. audience drops off, did tests with thumbnails to see what has a higher CTR (you can do this by running paid promotion through adwords), watched and analyzed endless amount of videos of channels bigger than me what they do different, and incorporated all that in weekly improvements on my weekly video to see what works.

And about the feeling, I partied for a minute, had a happy mood for a few hours and now fully focused on the 100.000 subs goal.
Congratulations! My channel needs a new overhaul, too! Though I really enjoy doing our current videos and the look of our channel, I need to branch out and align videos into what's trending. Just need to be brave and venture into something I've not tried.

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
That's an amazing growth in the third year! This is why YT is a conundrum... 68K in one year from doing nothing different.[DOUBLEPOST=1493824773,1493824471][/DOUBLEPOST]

Congratulations! My channel needs a new overhaul, too! Though I really enjoy doing our current videos and the look of our channel, I need to branch out and align videos into what's trending. Just need to be brave and venture into something I've not tried.
I don't know your channel, but it's always good to align with the trends of the top players in my opinion. At least my growth has been exploding due to it after a radical change of the content I was making (aligned with what trends well). And when I say aligned with the trends, I don't mean only the content. Also align the tags, description and especially title!

Reactions: Pierce's Mom

Pierce's Mom

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I don't know your channel, but it's always good to align with the trends of the top players in my opinion. At least my growth has been exploding due to it after a radical change of the content I was making (aligned with what trends well). And when I say aligned with the trends, I don't mean only the content. Also align the tags, description and especially title!
I just checked out your channel. Absolutely amazing overhaul you did. Bravo!!! I see the huge spike in views that occurred about 6 months ago which aligns with the change. My son's channel is currently very similar to how yours was prior to your change. We do toy unboxings mainly, and have an inconsistent hits. But, we were recommended by KTR to overhaul it as well.
Wanted to ask you a few more specific questions. Was it difficult for you to change the course of your videos? Did you run ads in the beginning to get the views to spike and increase? Or did you just make the change and suddenly the videos started increasing? How did you know what's trending and what would work for your channel? Thanks in advance for your time ;-)

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I just checked out your channel. Absolutely amazing overhaul you did. Bravo!!! I see the huge spike in views that occurred about 6 months ago which aligns with the change. My son's channel is currently very similar to how yours was prior to your change. We do toy unboxings mainly, and have an inconsistent hits. But, we were recommended by KTR to overhaul it as well.
Wanted to ask you a few more specific questions. Was it difficult for you to change the course of your videos? Did you run ads in the beginning to get the views to spike and increase? Or did you just make the change and suddenly the videos started increasing? How did you know what's trending and what would work for your channel? Thanks in advance for your time ;-)
Thanks! I didn't change it overnight, I first had to think and analyse hard how I wanted to change things. I also had to relearn how to make a different type of videos, analyse top channels of that other content how they do it (before I focussed more on analysing toy review channels) and practise. The way of editing, storytelling, storyboarding, kids acting, etc all changed so took time to get better at. I did boost new videos with adwords to get some traction going and fresh subs aligned with my new content.
I didn't see an immediate change and almost burned out on it that it seemed a failure before it suddenly kicked off. I spend 2/3 of my time on the backend of things that are not storyboarding/script, recording, editing and publishing to analyse what works and what doesn't for my content, analysing others what works and doesn't for them, etc so that I can improve myself and make more consitant strong videos that are on trend (trend for me means what the top players do, this from a content perspective but also how they construct the titles of their videos).

Reactions: Pierce's Mom

Pierce's Mom

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Thanks! I didn't change it overnight, I first had to think and analyse hard how I wanted to change things. I also had to relearn how to make a different type of videos, analyse top channels of that other content how they do it (before I focussed more on analysing toy review channels) and practise. The way of editing, storytelling, storyboarding, kids acting, etc all changed so took time to get better at. I did boost new videos with adwords to get some traction going and fresh subs aligned with my new content.
I didn't see an immediate change and almost burned out on it that it seemed a failure before it suddenly kicked off. I spend 2/3 of my time on the backend of things that are not storyboarding/script, recording, editing and publishing to analyse what works and what doesn't for my content, analysing others what works and doesn't for them, etc so that I can improve myself and make more consitant strong videos that are on trend (trend for me means what the top players do, this from a content perspective but also how they construct the titles of their videos).
Thanks so much! It seems like I have plenty of work ahead of me to restructure my whole channel into something trending.

About how long would you say you tried the "new videos" before seeing natural growth without ads?

Also, do you think you will ever do the videos you used to make? Add them back with your current content? Or just never look back?

Thanks again for all helpful advice.