The road from 1000 to 10000

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
There isn't any secret formula to reaching any number of subs. Stop thinking in terms of 1000 subs, 10,000 subs or a million subs or whatever.

A sub is 1 human being who will subscribe if he/she likes a channel's content and decides he/she wants to see more in the future.
I agree. I'm with you. But it is the main number used in judging a channel. More that half my videos have between 5k-50k in terms of views so things look up. But people rarely say "I have xx views" and likely say the sub count

Forget Waitrose...you beat Heston Blumenthal!!!

Regarding the original post: Having seen your channel it wouldn't surprise me if you have a similar experience to EVO, who went from very good solid growth to really amazing growth even though he didn't change what he was doing. He doesn't share his channel details, but I'm guessing that he must produce good quality content -consistently.

My channel is still at the good solid growth stage, but YouTube can be a cruel master. My views suddenly started to increase a few weeks ago and I accelerated from about 1000 views per day to 12,000 per day over a 6 day period. I thought "this is it!!!!" and then they plummeted down to 2000 per day. Better than before, but still...

I've been dreadfully inconsistent over the 5 years since I opened my channel, but I'm far more focussed now than before, so hopefully we'll both see the 10,000 subs this year!
I do think that any topic if consistent on uploads will expand. For myself it took 4 months to get 100 then the next and next 100 comes faster.

But I do think those 1000-10000 or maybe even 20000 are in a special group because unlike those fighting to reach 100, we know some success and unlike the 100ks we still do it part time and some may be forced to drop out for whatever reason before major success or may hit a peak and stay there forever. It's fun. Exciting. Interesting. Happy to hear other stories about it

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I think subscribers and views are vanity statistics. Watchtime and audience retention percentages are statistics that matter way more. They don't "lie" to us like view numbers and subscriber numbers can. I feel like views and subscribers can easily be inflated by past videos, which may or may not be relevant to the current channel's content.

I've been telling myself that my channel's health shouldn't be measured by subscribers or how my past videos are performing, but rather how my latest new videos perform.

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Forget Waitrose...you beat Heston Blumenthal!!!

Regarding the original post: Having seen your channel it wouldn't surprise me if you have a similar experience to EVO, who went from very good solid growth to really amazing growth even though he didn't change what he was doing. He doesn't share his channel details, but I'm guessing that he must produce good quality content -consistently.

My channel is still at the good solid growth stage, but YouTube can be a cruel master. My views suddenly started to increase a few weeks ago and I accelerated from about 1000 views per day to 12,000 per day over a 6 day period. I thought "this is it!!!!" and then they plummeted down to 2000 per day. Better than before, but still...

I've been dreadfully inconsistent over the 5 years since I opened my channel, but I'm far more focussed now than before, so hopefully we'll both see the 10,000 subs this year!
Haha yeah I did. Secretly, I hope he searches the recipe and gets really mad, because this small youtuber is at the top haha. He won't, but it would be funny if he did.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Having seen your channel it wouldn't surprise me if you have a similar experience to EVO, who went from very good solid growth to really amazing growth even though he didn't change what he was doing. He doesn't share his channel details, but I'm guessing that he must produce good quality content -consistently.
I produce content constantly (daily) at the same level of quality; Its not good quality though. But there are people that watch so I keep going.

Reactions: Yachts For Sale

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
I think subscribers and views are vanity statistics. Watchtime and audience retention percentages are statistics that matter way more. They don't "lie" to us like view numbers and subscriber numbers can. I feel like views and subscribers can easily be inflated by past videos, which may or may not be relevant to the current channel's content.

I've been telling myself that my channel's health shouldn't be measured by subscribers or how my past videos are performing, but rather how my latest new videos perform.
It's a good point.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
In all the discussions with our Yt brand manager, and all the Yt Hangout sessions I attended with other creators, the focus is on getting new views and growing views. Video topics you pick, trends you jump on or create, playlists you make, they are all made to generate views. Views and the corresponding ad impressions are what matters to Yt. That is how they earn their money and keep this amazing platform functioning. It is all about maximising views. Subscribers come as a result of views when those views convert to subs. The only hard cold metric of importance is views. Sub numbers is a feel good measure, especially with the silver and gold button, and maybe a way for MCNs to hunt you down and offer you a higher % cut.

Sub growth wise: 1000 to 10000 happens when you have a "micro-viral" video. Without such a video, the road will be very long and hard. The road from 10k to 100k needs a viral, or 2 to 3 semi-virals. There's almost no other way these days with content over-saturation. 100k-500k needs multiple virals and consistent high-view inventory. 500k-1M not sure, still working on it...:)

Grass Daddy

Reaction score
What I found is it snowballs. A lot of people say that. The first 1000 is the hardest. The next 1000 is slightly easier, and then from there it's just a tad bit easier each time. So 10k won't take 10x the time it took to get 1k, but it's also not going to get there in a week.

As for stats.. I know a lot of people like to use watch time but I like subscriber count because thats the number of people who want MORE content. You could have a single awesome long video that goes viral and then a month later nobody cares about it cuz that fad is gone. But subscribers are there for every new video.

The watch time also differs based on style. I do shorter how to videos on lawn care. Other lawn guys like to have big long story type videos. Some people like watching the story unfold, while others like to just get to the point. I'm in the second category and a lot of my viewers are too. So if I compare my channel to another guys, sure he might have longer view time but his crowd likes that and mine doesn't.

Also, ad revenue is based on views on view time =P

ToysForKids

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I hit 1000 in my first year and 2000 by end year 2
Its now end year 3 and im at 70'000
I havnt done anything different..
Wow! How did it happen? Just a constant stream of new subscribers or did you get couple of big waves?

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Luck. I now have a few of 'Gateway' videos.

ToysForKids

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I find getting the first 100 extremely daunting. Getting videos to appear on the search is hard.